Supply dramatically changed

iVillage Member
Supply dramatically changed
Mon, 04-11-2005 - 6:58pm
I really could use your help. I breastfed my baby girl until she was 6 days old. I then started pumping as my breasts really, really hurt when she nursed. Also, my breasts were engorged for the last couple of days. Since then, I've been pumping. However, now my supply is really low compared to what it was (during engorgement). Now, I'm pumping only 1-2oz each time I pump. I tried to pump at the schedule that the baby has already begun (she was feeding about every 2 hours - at night, about every 4 hours). What should I do? Should I continue to pump every 2 hours or should I increase? Thank you - I'm so worried about being able to keep up with her nursing needs. Thank you!
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-11-2005 - 7:51pm
What kind of pump are you using? The amount you are pumping should be more than sufficient I would think. It sounds like maybe a pump issue to me. What are you using?
Robin

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 9:22am
I am using the Evenflo Comfort Select auto-cycle pump (two of them to pump both sometimes). Yesterday, after writing my post, I pumped and got less than an oz. from one side and less than two oz. from the other. We are back to breastfeeding for most feedinds (which really hurts!!!). I was really stressed out over this yesterday, which I'm sure has something to do with it. Also, when pumping, I have a real hard time w/ the let-down reflex and not so much when I breastfeed. And lastly, when she's bottle-fed, she'll have 3-4 oz. per feeding, and takes about 15 minutes w/ a slow-flow bottle. This morning's nursing session took about 35 minutes. Is she now trying to match what she gets in a bottle or am I just obsessing? Thanks for your help.
-Maria