HELP!!!!!...huge drop overnight

iVillage Member
HELP!!!!!...huge drop overnight
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 9:02am

OK, so I thought we were doing OK -- making enough to feed the baby (about 27 oz/day) at 14 weeks PP. Started with 10x (15 min.) for 3.5 weeks (using a ton of supply boosters -- fenugreek, blessed thistle, oatmeal), then went to 8x (20 min.) until 12 weeks PP, then 7x (25 min.) for about 5 days, then 6x (28-30 min.). At 6x, I was getting 4 to 5.5 oz per session (I know, it sounds pathetic, but it was enough). Well, last night at 2 a.m. all of a sudden I can barely squeeze out 3 oz in 30 minutes! This also happened at 6 a.m. Waiting to see what happens at 10 (but the outlook does not seem good).

I've heard of people experiencing drops around 4.5 months, but we're only at 3.5. Is that what it is? As far as I can tell, all the mechanical stuff is the same -- the pump (PISA) sounded a little funky a few days ago like it had hiccups and Medela is sending a replacement motor, just in case. But lately it's sounded OK.

Thinking about domperidone because I hear it's effective for bringing back former levels....but I'm also having recurrent rectal bleeding and am afraid that the gastroenterologist will not like me taking a non-FDA-approved gastrointestinal drug for this....

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 11:03am

At 3.5 mo you could be ovulating.

Low milk supply associated with menstruation: Calcium/magnesium supplement

Some women experience a drop in milk supply from ovulation (mid-cycle) until the first day or two of the next menstrual period. A woman's blood calcium levels gradually decrease during this period of time, and for some women the drop in blood calcium causes a drop in milk supply. For women who have this problem, calcium/magnesium supplements may be helpful. This practice has also been reported to eliminate most uterine cramping and some premenstrual discomfort such as water retention.

The recommended calcium supplement dosage is between 500 mg calcium/250 mg magnesium and 1500 mg calcium/750 mg magnesium (the higher dosage is generally more effective). Calcium dosages this high should not be taken alone, but as a calcium/magnesium (or calcium/magnesium/zinc) combination. Otherwise the calcium will not be adequately absorbed into your body. The amount of supplement depends on the composition of your diet -- the more animal protein, the more calcium/magnesium needed. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, the lower dosage may work fine for you.

Start the supplement when you ovulate, and continue through the first few days of your menstrual period. If periods are irregular, then begin calcium/magnesium at 14 days after the beginning of your last menstrual cycle, or simply take the supplement every day.

What about clogged ducts?

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 7:06pm

Thanks, I'll have to wait and see if it's AF...worth trying the calcium + magnesium. And, yes, you're right, stress doesn't help (after the disastrous 2 a.m. session I lay in bed and stared up at the ceiling until 6; then after the disastrous 6 a.m. session I cried until I fell asleep and then woke up depressed out of my mind).

It's not a matter of clogs -- I get those frequently but can tell I don't have any right now.

I don't think it's an issue with the membranes -- I have 3 sets of horns/valves and they all seem to provide about the same performance. But they're due to be replaced anyhow.

Thanks again.