Getting less with Electric?

iVillage Member
Getting less with Electric?
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 3:30pm

I got my Ameda Purely Yours in te mail yesterday and boy was I excited. I cleaned it and got it all ready to use, then when I sat down for my first pump I only got about 8 oz combined. And I just pumped now and got only 5 oz combined. What gives? I had an Avent Isis before this and was getting about 10oz combined every time I pumped. This is what I'm doing, maybe someone can point out where I'm going wrong.
With my electric:
I pump for a full 20 minutes (this means sometimes I am pumping for 8 minutes more than my milk is coming out)
I have it on the highest number of cycles
I have it on the medium-low suction setting (I am afraid to put it higher than this since any higher is kind of uncomfortable and I'm afraid of hurting my nipples - never had a nipple problem and don't want one!)

now with the Isis, I have a flex sheild that stimulates my breast while I pump. I don't have this on the electric. I have small breasts, but I'm making sure that I keep the suction seal through the whole pumping session (unless I have an itch - haven't gone hands free yet!)

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I expected MORE milk with the electrric, not less. Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated!! TIA

Jackie and Emily 01/30/05

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 4:35pm
Have you tried this?

Massage your nipples prior to pumping.

Katherine,

Mom to Maggie and William...

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 4:35pm

Jackie,
I have a PISA and and Isis. I consistently get more with the Isis. It even takes the same amount of time pumping. I only get 3-4 oz per pump total. Your question is great. I wonder if someone has an answer. I think it has to do with the shield on the Isis. Also - if you go to the avent site, they have studies showing their pump to be as efficient as electric. I am not sure if it's hype or what.

I wish I had an answer for you. I just wanted you to know other's experience the same thing with the electric.

-Kimberly and Addison 3/8/05

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 6:10pm

How ironic that you posted this question...I just had the same experience today. I have an Isis that I used for the first week or two before I had my rental lactina, then PIS. I decided that I need to add a pump to my schedule, so today I took my Isis to work. My theory was that it takes less time to set up and a smaller bag, so I could do it for like 10 minutes, just to get a bit extra. I pumped for 2-10 minute sessions today (I had extra time) and I got 6 oz total. now, when I was taking my PIS to work, I was getting 6 oz in 30 minues with prety rigorous massaging.

My theory is that the Isis breast shield was more stimulating to my breasts. I am wondering how the soft breast shield that are made for the Medela pumps work. has anyone tried them. I was thinking about ordering a pair to see if it helped.

Lilypie Baby Ticker

Image hosted by Photobucket.com 

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 7:09pm

Hiya,

Thats really wierd. I used to use an Isis, before I got my PIS, and found it really good. I had exactly the same thing happen when I first used my PIS. Yesterday, for the first time in ages, I used my Isis, and I only got about 2 1/2 ounces. It hurt too, which surprised me as I use my PIS on max cycles without any pain.

Maybe all pumps take a bit of getting used to. Hopefully you will get used to your PY and then you'll get more than you did with the Isis.

Hope it works out. I would certainly advise you to stick with it, and to go hands free. I'm sure it will get better.

Love Tina

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-13-2005 - 11:28am

It can take a few days to adjust to a new pump/pumping system.

For the first couple of weeks I wasn't coordinated enough to pump both sides at the same time & didn't know about hands free pumping.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-13-2005 - 5:13pm
I just wanted to add to everyone that my isis softpetal cushin or whatever it is called fits into the horns of my py. If you go to avent's website you can order a second cushin and put one in each horn and see if that helps.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-13-2005 - 8:22pm
Last night I tried using my Isis flex sheild inside my PY and while it fit, it didnt work so well. There wasn't enough air pressure with it. I'm thinking of ordering the flex shields that are specifically for the py and see how it goes