how do you drop a pump?

iVillage Member
how do you drop a pump?
Sat, 04-16-2005 - 9:01am

Hi all,
I have been trying to drop the middle of the night pump for over a week now. I pump before bed (around 11pm) I still wake up very engorged and leaking at 7am. My goal is to pump before bed maybe 1 time in the afternoon then at wake up time and ff the rest of the day. I know it is not ideal, but pumping is hurting my sanity.

How do you drop pumps? Do you continue to pump at the regular 3-4 hour interval but just go shorter times? When I try to go longer between pumps I experience engorgement then too. I have tried using the cabbage leaves, but they have not helped and I am allegic to sulfa (I read somewhere you shouldn't try it with a sulfa allergy).

I am a LVP so did not expect to feel so much engorgement.

Thank you in advance,
Kimberly and Addison 3/8/05

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-16-2005 - 12:19pm
Honestly if you're a LVP I wouldn't start dropping pumps yet.

Katherine,

Mom to Maggie and William...

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-16-2005 - 1:42pm

Kimberly,

I am with you on the sanity thing. I am only 2 weeks pp and I only pump 3 times a day. I pump for 30-45 minutes when I wake up, during naptime in the afternoon and again before I go to bed. I am content with the 26 oz. I receive. DD only eats 16 oz in a day and I have been freezing the rest. I am prepared to ff later on if I have to, but I was driving myself insane trying to pump the 8 necessary times a day. I have a 2 1/2 year old son as well as my new dd and this is all I can manage right now. I dropped pumps slowly. I would go at least 3 days in between each drop. I KNOW THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR SUPPLY, but right now I need my sanity more!

HTH!
Stacey

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-17-2005 - 12:15am

Thanks for the info. I am going to try the 3 a day thing and see how it works. I am prepared to ff if needed. She is already getting formula supplements.

-Kimberly