LVPs/MVPS -- how did you drop?

iVillage Member
LVPs/MVPS -- how did you drop?
Mon, 04-18-2005 - 10:56am

I know I've asked this before but I'm still struggling with how best to drop pumps. I know everyone is different, but...hoping to benefit from the collective wisdom of this board!!!

question: How many times did you pump, for how long each time, and for how many weeks; and when you started to drop, how soon did you drop, what was your frequency and duration then, and did you continue with the night-time pump; and how much did your volume decrease? (Yes, I know that's actually eight questions)

My LC had encouraged me to go to about 6x at 12 weeks PP, saying that "Most women who do this long-term typically do 6x/day." We're at 15 weeks PP and 7x/day, and I would love to drop one session (do I dare say two?) to free up more time to take care of the baby. I'm not sure how much of a sacrifice in supply I'm willing to deal with yet.

Thanks!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-18-2005 - 1:29pm

Hello there!

Let me try to answer your questions *S*.

First off, I am a MVP (averaging about 30 to 40ozs per day). For the first 6 months after my son was born, I either bf or pump (bf for the first 1/12months and then EP for the rest) 8 to 10 times a day. In the beggining, I was only pumping 10 minutes at a time but then increase to 20 minutes.

When I started to drop pumps (back in January), I made a plan. I wanted to start a slow wean from Jan to June. I am going back to work in June and want to be down to at least 2 times a day so I don't have to pump at work. If all goes well, I might keep up the 2 pumps for a while. So in Jan, I dropped to 7, Feb to 6 and then March to 5. In March, I found that I was losing too much supply (I went below 30ozs a day) so I decided to add back the 6th pump. I did for about 2 weeks and then just went down to 5. So far, I am maintaining at 30+ozs a day. I did start to take supply boosters though as I had some left and just wanted to get rid of them before I weaned down to 2 or 3. I plan on going to 4 times a day in a few weeks (May) and then 3 about 2 weeks after that so that I can drop to 2 in June like I had originally planned. This time around, I am not going to worry about supply since I do have to wean!!! what I will pump, I'll be happy with and I'll finish up with my frozen. I was hoping to be able to feed all fresh until Alex turned 1 but I will probably have to do half and half for the last month or two. AT least, I have enough frozen to make it well past his first bd.

The first pump I dropped was the middle of the night pump. It was so nice to get more sleep. I was thinking about adding it back in when I go down to 4 times a day so I can space my pumps more evenly but I don't think I will. I need my sleep more than my pumps! Besides, my supply has been fairly good since I started to drop pumps although I did have a few weeks where it kept going down and I started to worry I was going to dry up but it all got back to normal within a week.

HTH! Good luck!

Image hosted by Photobucket.compregnancy
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-18-2005 - 1:46pm
Thanks again Celine -- you have an amazing amount of discipline! I can't do a schedule as rigorous as yours (working from home & taking care of the baby full time) but it does help to hear about your experience!
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-18-2005 - 11:21pm

I was always a LVP pumping about 28 oz. a day while taking domperidone. For the first 4 months I pumped 7 times a day and always made the same amount. I finally wised up, and very quicky dropped to 6 then 5 then 4 times per day over a period of 3 weeks. When I got to 4 pumps per day I was still making 28 oz per day. So I then dropped to 3 times per day and still made 28 oz. per day.

That's my story. I've heard others say it too. For some of us it works to drop pumps and produce the same amt. You just have to try it for yourself. Even once I started weaning at about 7 1/2 months I was making about 25 oz per day only pumping twice.

Hope that helped. Good luck.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-18-2005 - 11:55pm
My son Zach is 14 weeks and for the first 8, I pumped every 2 hours religiously - (I think I almost lost my mind doing this) - I would get a max of 18-20oz. When he started sleeping 6-7 hours at night, I dropped those nighttime pumps and didn't lose any supply. Almost magically, at 12 weeks just like they say, my supply was established and dramatically increased to 25-27oz/day. What helped me most when I dropped pumps was to keep good records, writing down every time I pumped, the time and amt that I pumped so if I saw a dip, I would try to go back and figure out what was different, tried to correct it and every time I did that, my supply resumed. I've never used any supply boosters.
Good luck!
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-19-2005 - 1:33am

Wow -- that's great! How long were you pumping for when you dropped to 6 (and then 5, and 4, and 3)?

Thanks!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-19-2005 - 9:22pm

I pumped around the clock for what seemed like an eternity, but in reality was about 7-8 weeks. By around the clock I mean every 2 hours (except for the occasional 3-4 hour stretch at night). When Jillian started sleeping longer, I realized that I would get the same amount of milk total with less pumping. Out of necessity (work), I started dropping pumps around then and was down to 4 pumps per day by 11 weeks.

The way I dropped pumps was to just do it. I had managed to store a small amount of milk in the freezer before I did it though. I actually went down to 3 pumps per day, but that was just not working out and now I am back at 4 and doing well. The frozen milk came in handy for that brief drop in my milk supply.

Here is what I do: I pump after my morning shower (around 7:00) for 1/2 hour with my PIS, around 12:45 I pump with my Isis at work for about 15 minutes (I can't completely empty, but I get about 4-5 oz total). Then I pump for 30 minutes at 6:00(PIS) and 30 minutes at 10:30(PIS). I know it seems sort of crazy, but it is what works for me. I found that I am more efficient at work with my Isis than with setting up my PIS. Again, it is just what works for me.

I also take lecithin and it has really seemed to help with how quickly I let down and how fast the milk comes out.

Good luck

Carrie

Lilypie Baby Ticker

Image hosted by Photobucket.com 

Image hosted by Photobucket.com