Am I a HVP, MVP, LVP???

iVillage Member
Am I a HVP, MVP, LVP???
Wed, 04-20-2005 - 12:51am

I am trying to determine what volume pumper I am. I am 15 days pp and am so glad i found this board...breast feeding didn't work out and pumping is going really well for me.

I manage to pump every 4 hours (double with a PIS) and get about 10 - 11 ounces after 30 minutes. Is that good? Will it go up?

Also, did you ladies buy larger bottles to pump into rather than the 6 ounce ones that come with the Madella pump? Or do you stop when pumping to get a new one? My right breast is not totally empty when I totally fill up one of the bottles hooked up to the horn...so I just stop, and I see many posts about pumping until you are empty.

At any rate, I am just trying to see where I fit in the whole scheme of pumping to make sure I am on a good track to keep pumping. I manage to easily freeze 20 ounces or so a day on top of feed my 15 day old big boy. I hope that is good?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks to you all...such a huge help when everyone around me seems to think that the failure to breast feed is such a tragedy, and I feel like this is a wonderful solution for us. You are all such a big help.

Thanks in advance.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-20-2005 - 6:24am

I dub thee......HVP :)

Generally, we call a LVP someone who doesn't pump enough to feed their baby.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-20-2005 - 8:30am

I pump into 9 ounce bottles as well.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-20-2005 - 10:56am

I agree with Shannon and Jenn. You are definitely a HVP. You get about 60 ounces a day after 2 weeks. WOW. I didn't reach my peak of 60 until about 10 weeks or so. And I always considered myself a HVP. Well, at least until I dropped to 3x/day (48 ounces) and Care started eating 35-40 ounces/day (no solids yet at 6 months). Now I am barely making enough to freeze and she eats everything I pump during growth spurts. So I guess that until she drops down on her intake, I'm officially a MVP. ;-)

I bought an Avent adaptor set and pump into 9 ounce Avent bottles (they actually hold almost 11 if you let them get to the very top). That works for me so I don't have to switch bottles in the middle of a pump (not only is it irritating, but you have to dirty ANOTHER bottle so you can mix the foremilk/hindmilk together). I'm just lazy and do whatever I can to save some effort. :-) Since I use Avent bottles, I pump into those.

Don't let anyone make you feel bad about EPing. It's twice as much work as nursing (as most BFers will readily admit) and they get all the benefits of MM either way. You just have to decide what works for your family. Happy mommy = Happy baby. :-)

Good luck and welcome.

<<
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-20-2005 - 12:24pm

Hi & welcome.

Shannon gave you the general run-down on *classification*...in addition to that I also use a little number labeling in my head when people are talking about supply & dropping pumps.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-21-2005 - 9:45am
Amen, sister!
=)