Decrease in Supply

iVillage Member
Decrease in Supply
Fri, 02-19-2010 - 10:32am

I'm nearly 7 weeks pp, and have been EPing for the past 4 weeks. I've been keeping a log of my amounts pumped, and been able to work my way up from 10oz per day to a high of nearly 18oz earlier this week by using massage and compressions. But over the past few days, I've been gradually decreasing the amount I'm able to pump. I'm getting ready to go back to work, so there have been some schedule changes as I'm trying to adjust.

I'm thinking of everything that could be affecting my supply...

1.) On the day that I peaked, I started taking Blessed Thistle with my Fenugreek. I had been taking the Fenugreek exclusively for over three weeks. Has anyone else had any issues with this actually decreasing supply?

2. My letdown just doesn't seem to be happening anymore. I know this can be caused by stress, and I just can't seem to relax enough.

3. My LO sleeps about a 6 hour strech at night. I had previously not been getting up to pump unless he woke me, but the past few nights I've set an alarm for myself so I can get that MOTN pump in in 4 hours rather than waiting the whole 6. I've read that letdown might be delayed when you're not waiting up naturally. Any comments/suggestions on this? I thought I needed to add that MOTN pump in order to keep increasing my supply??

4. I don't think I've been drinking enough water, so yesterday morning I started working on it again. I find that I have to drink until I think I'm going to be sick.

I'm really confused here. I even took a HPT this morning to make sure that wasn't it. Luckily, it was negative. Does anyone have any thoughts about what's going on here??

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
In reply to: zldomi
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 7:56pm

First I'll answer what you've posted, then make some suggestions and thoughts!

1.) No I have never heard of it decreasing supply, have you changed the dose at all?

2. Letdown is VERY important...you need to relax and think of something nice...a beach...your LO playing...running water...anything that will help you relax.

Photobucket