Please help me

iVillage Member
Please help me
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 10:42am
I am desperate. My son is 5 weeks old (he'll be 6 weeks Thursday). I've had to pump from his birth because I have flat nipples. He will not latch on, even with the nipple shield - when he does, he'll suck a few minutes and get mad and stop. He also fights the breast. So we decided I'd exclusively pump for him since it was such a battle to try to breastfeed which always ended with both he and I crying our eyes out. The pediatrician made us supplement with formula starting the day we came home from the hospital because my son had lost so much weight.
I have, at most, pumped 4 oz. a day (with the hospital grade pump I rented). Now I'm down to about 2 oz. a day (with a Medela Pump in Style). I pump 8-10 times per day. I have NO letdown. I've never experienced engorgement either. I have had the tingly feeling twice - once the day my milk came in and once since. There is rarely a little bit of spray when I pump, but usually just droplets. My breasts don't leak either. I'm taking Fenugreek & Blessed Thistle 3 caps, 3 times a day. I'm still taking my prenatal vitamin and my iron pill since I was a little anemic during the pregnancy. I am not dehydrated - I drink fluids all day (water, tea, juice). Is there anything else I can be doing? I see my OB on Thursday & he sees his pediatrician on Friday.
I go back to work next week and will be able to pump there within reason. I mean I can't lock my office for 40 minutes 3 times a day to pump, but I can for 20 min. or so 2 times a day and I can pump on my lunch break which is 1 hour long.
Last night I cried for hours over this inability to feed my child. I can't imagine what else I could be doing or what I am doing wrong. I appreciate any advice you ladies can offer.
Thanks in advance,
Michelle
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 11:33am

Reading your post made me finally join this group instead of just lurking.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 11:37am
Thank you so much for your kind words. It's nice to know someone else has felt the same way as I currently feel and actually got some results! It's just so frustrating! My husband tries to help, telling me any amount is better than none, but he just doesn't understand that this makes me feel like a failure as a mother. I mean what's the point of having these ginormous boobs if they won't do the one job they were intended for?
I'm determined to keep at it and hope for the same wonderful results that you have had.
Thanks again!
Michelle
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 12:09pm

Welcome, Michelle. :-)

The PP is right...those first weeks can be absolutely brutal. Keep up your hard work and it will get better. You are giving your very best to your babe, and IMHO it's worth it.

I'd suggest that if you haven't already, you should check out the Beginner's Guide on this board. There is a ton of good information there. Here's the link:

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-ppexcluspump&msg=31119.1&x=y

Also, as the PP mentioned, there are prescriptions that your doc can give you. As she mentioned, Reglan can have some pretty serious side effects, so I would recommend asking about Domperidone. I am currently taking it, as are many women on this board, and I find that it makes a huge difference in my production without the side effects.

The other thing that I found helped me was dropping a pump so that I could get a little more sleep. I know it seems counterintuitive, but getting enough rest can really make a difference.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 4:27pm

welcome and congrats on your lo.. I was in the same situation and did everything to get my supply up.. Now i'm 13 months in to the game..

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 8:12pm

Thank you ladies for your responses and encouragement!

Chelsey, I'm actually only getting an average of 2 ounces per DAY! I've been on Fenugreek now for a week and Blessed Thistle for 2 weeks (they were out of Fenugreek when I first went to the herb shop). I'll up the dosage of Fenugreek to 4 pills 3 times a day and see if that helps. Since I've only been on the combo for a week, should I wait to discuss the supply issues with my doctor or go ahead and talk to her this week when I see her?

As for the Dom medication, I'm a little confused about it. Is it or is it not legal in the US? I looked it up on my insurance company's website and it's not listed there as a covered medication, which made me wonder.

I also forgot to mention in my previous post that I'm eating oatmeal (which I hate!) and drinking the mothers milk tea too.

Thanks again everyone!
Michelle

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 9:08pm

Michelle.. seems like you may have a low supply issue like i did.. i was only getting 1 oz in total for the day..

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-07-2010 - 12:23am

Hi, I have been pumping for 7 months, here are some recommendations:

-ask God and He will help you

-be patient, think about your baby while pumping

-EAT A lot OF OATMIL, like 3 bowls a day

-Pump every 3 hrs for 15-20 min, day and night for 3 days, then every 4-5hrs, then every 6hrs

-Drink a cup of water after each pumping

-I use first years pump, I wash it in

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-15-2010 - 2:14pm
I am so glad someone else is feeling my pain.