a tale of two horns

iVillage Member
a tale of two horns
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 12:29pm

Ok so at this point I'm 9.5 months ppd. Should be close to figuring this stuff out you'd think. When I dropped to 4 pumps per day I started having issues with the horns (anyone else experience this?) I figured my breasts were larger waiting longer between pumps and the ONLY pair of horns that worked for me was my softfit which were a little snug. Couldn't empty with anything else. Fast forward to all my problems the last month.... mastitis, thinking mastitis again, clogs clogs clogs... well the pair of horns started falling apart! The soft part detached from the tube part hence no more suction. Both were ripped right at the seam- I'm guessing this happened over time and explains all my clogging up. Well, as luck would have it I had a brand new pair of softfit

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 3:16pm

Yes!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 3:39pm

Hey! Well, I am already back up to 4/day. When I dropped to 3 (last Monday) the clogs were unbelievable mon and tues so on wed I went back to 4 times/day. I did go cold turkey - I was thinking my body can go from 9:30 at night to 5am, shouldn't 3x/day even be about the same? BUT, it was too much. Then the stupid horns busted, nice... From what all the docs tell me it's more nipple trauma, slight infections. How the heck do you know the difference? Neither feels good! I think you are right and dropping minutes is the way to go. How would you do it? Should I just stay at 4xday for now and slowly drop minutes from all sessions since I still pump 40oz/day? I'm thinking if I don't taper down to around 30oz I may never wean and I do want to wean in 9-10 weeks. I think I remember you saying you weaned cold turkey - all I can say is WOW.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 3:52pm

Well if you are planning on weaning, then yes, taking minutes from every pump is an option.

Photobucket