Increasing Supply

iVillage Member
Increasing Supply
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 5:28pm

I would like to increase my supply. I know about power pumping and have been doing it for a few days but haven't seen any increase from it as of yet. I know about all of the herbs and teas but I have an allergy and take any of them. I also know about oatmeal and can't really stand

iVillage Member
In reply to: dlh05
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 9:44pm

Hi! Welcome!

I've had supply issues from the beginning, but what really helped me was starting to track what I produced at each pump on a spreadsheet. Sounds nerdy, I know, but it really works for me. It helps me three ways:

1. I can lay out a pumping schedule for myself with a goal of 10 pumps per day. Some days I don't even make 8 pumps, but it helps me stay on schedule a little better than just winging it.

2. I'm able to see how water intake, supplements, power pumping, etc. effect my supply

3. If I make 20 ounces today, and look back and see I made 22 ounces yesterday, I'm more motivated to get one more pump in to try to match or exceed my previous output.

Using the spreadsheet, and some really good massage/compressions has helped me more than double my supply in just over a month.

Hope this helps!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 10:12pm
what is power pumping?
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 2:09am

Power Pumping is a way to mimic cluster feeding to increase your supply. Many find it helpful to take an hour or so every evening and sit down, pump for 20 minutes, take a 10 minute break, pump for 10 minutes, take a 10 minute break, etc.

There is some helpful information on power pumping and increasing supply here:

http://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/article-LMS.aspx

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal picture