Increasing supply at 4 months

iVillage Member
Increasing supply at 4 months
Mon, 03-29-2010 - 1:42pm

I have a 4 months old baby and I was exclusively breastfeeding but she has silent reflux and refuses nursing now, so I started to pump. She will only nurse when sleepy, other times I have to feed her with a syringe as she's not taking bottle. I pump 6-8 times a day and getting 20-22 oz, at night I try to nurse, so i am only pumping during the day. Should I pump more? And can I still increase my supply with just the pumping? Is it normal to get only 2-3 oz per session? Any suggestion would be helpful. I really hope to be able to get her to nurse again, but if not I would like to make it until she's 8 months. I admire all of you for doing the EP for your little ones, I found it much harder than nursing, it's a lot of work and I also have o 2 year old so it's not easy at all. She needs attention too, but with all the pumping and feeding with the syringe i don't have much time left.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 10:22am

I'm sorry your LO is suffering from silent reflux...that sucks and I hope she moves past it quickly!

This is tough since you are both nursing and pumping...2-3 oz's for someone who only pumps at 4 months is low BUT there is no way to tell have much your LO is getting out at each nursing session either!?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 12:37pm

Thank you very much for the reply.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 9:48pm

I had some success with increasing my supply around the 5-month mark. My LO had some weight gain issues, so I EP'ed for some time to track the number of ounces she was taking in. The first few days of pumping I didn't make nearly enough milk and had to supplement with formula. My output was only about 2-3 ounces total per session, which wasn't even close to a full bottle since she was easily drinking 4-5 oz bottles at that time. I kept at it and caught up to her in about a week. Now I am at the point where I can usually pump a few ounces beyond what she drinks in a day and am slowly building a small freezer stash.

I did it by pumping like CRAZY. It was a huge PITA, but I did power pumps as often as I could - pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10 minutes, pump for 10 minutes. Every time I gave a formula bottle, I power-pumped. Every time I nursed (which I was also doing for a few feedings each day in hopes of keeping her on the boob some), I pumped afterward. I'd say that I had at least a week of intensive pumping, but I have generally had an easy time producing enough milk to feed my babies. Once I was consistently getting more ounces, I backed off on the power pumps and was able to maintain supply with a more normal pumping schedule. I also have two older kids and all that extra pumping was hard. I plunked them in front of a video more than I care to admit but I've now adjusted my pumping schedule so that I get enough for two bottles in the morning and then a third bottle with my before-bed pump. The rest of my LO's feedings I nurse her directly from the tap.

My LO was also very reluctant to take a bottle at first but we kept at it. Oddly, she did better with the bottle from me instead of DH. I usually bottlefeed her in a position that is somewhat similar to nursing - even now, she does better with a bottle if she is held close when she gets it. She now goes easily between breast and bottle, though she does sometimes get frustrated at the breast because it doesn't come out in the first few sucks like the bottle.

I hope that you are able to get your LO's reflux under control. It's so hard to have a LO with feeding issues, hopefully you can find the right balance of pumping and bottle feeding to keep your LO on breastmilk if that is what you are wanting to do.

-L

DD 05-05

DS 11-07

DD 09-09

-L

DD 05-05

DS 11-07

DD 09-09
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 11:52pm

Thanks for your reply. I actually started power pumping every night more than a week ago and it looks like