How much should I be getting?

iVillage Member
How much should I be getting?
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 2:49pm

My LO is no 9 weeks old I have been EPing for the last 8 weeks and barely getting 3 oz per pump. I tried taking Reglan to increase my milk supply and it did a little but has dropped off again (still taking it). I have been following the nutrition guide and drinking LOTS of water. My LO is eating almost 4 oz every 2 hours so I am pumping every 2 hours....during the night I pump 2x so that I can get some sleep.

I am starting to feel really overwhelmed because I started back to work on Monday and only see my LO at night but half of our time together I am pumping.... I am able to get a few bottles ahead at night due to him sleeping longer. But am really just making enough to get him through the next day...

What can I do to increase my supply or should I just give up...which is what I am on the verge of doing...

Any advise would be appreciated!!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 4:57pm

If you’re feeling overwhelmed and thinking about quitting try dropping pumps to see if you lose ounces. Some people can drop pumps early and still maintain the same supply. I’d keep a log and see what happens. Three ounces every 2 hours is pretty good, at 9 weeks I was getting about 24 ounces per day with 5 pumps.

Your LO eats frequently, my DD ate 4 ounces but only every 3 hours. You might want to try and get to a 3 hour schedule if he’ll let you. Good Luck! You’ve done great so far!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-19-2010 - 9:01am
I just wanted to say thank you for your advise. I started pumping every 3 hours and am able to get about 4-5 oz almost every time. I also increased my LO to 4 oz to see if he would go a little longer between feedings and it has work. We are now on the schedule!!! Thanks!!