mastitis and huge supply drop

iVillage Member
mastitis and huge supply drop
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 10:03pm
I am 3 weeks pp and have been battling mastitis for the last week and a half. As a result, my output has dropped by half, which is terrible as I am a LVP to begin with, a good day was only 20oz.total to begin with. The antibiotic seems to be clearing it up finally, but now I am only getting a 1/2oz. per pumping session on the affected side. Is there any hope to getting my supply back? It is so discouraging.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 1:02am
I had mastitis at 3 weeks pp also, and my supply decreased significantly. I just did my best to pump every 3 hours, and my supply built back up. I'm now pumping 40 oz a day, and my daughter is 6 weeks old. Don't be discouraged!
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 10:15pm
Don't be discouraged! You can do it! I got a really bad case of mastitis with DS#3 when I was only 3 weeks PP. My supply dropped to just drops on the side that was infected. I kept at it, pumping, compressing, etc. When the drugs finally cleared it up, I kept up the every 3 hours schedule. Eventually my supply built back up. I produced about 50 oz a day and stopped pumping at 9 months. DS had milk until 14 months by the time I finished up my freezer supply. Keep it up!