I am a wreck please help!

iVillage Member
I am a wreck please help!
Wed, 06-25-2008 - 12:07am

I have read a lot and learned very much from this board but never posted. But I could really use some help. I just thawed out my last 3 bags of frozen and that's it then my 5 month old is completely on formula and I feel terrible. I have cried a lot tonight. I thought I was ok with my decision but now I am second guessing it but it is too late now.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2008 - 1:23am
Don't feel guilty! You have to do what works best for your family as a whole.
I was in your shoes a few months ago. My mother past away in March when my son was 3 months old. It affected my milk supply. I couldn't pump more than a couple of ounces a day. After the frozen stash was gone, I had to put him on formula. I felt soooo bad. But the fact is, I had to do what worked. I didn't have the milk nor the time to actively increase my supply because of all that was going on. I gave him what I could for the first 3 months of his life and I still try to give him the little I have, but I had to come to grips with the fact that my love for him was beyond milk. I know it is hard, but you love your child and you are doing what is best for your family as a whole, which is ultimately best for baby.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2008 - 8:29am
I just want to say I'm sorry you're feeling so sad.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-25-2008 - 6:47pm

Pumping or hand expressing "to comfort" won't hurt anything - just do it enough to relieve the pain. You can feed your DS that milk. And, you can continue to wean...cold turkey is never a good idea...slow weaning is more comfortable for mom....and it gives you options if you change your mind.

You shouldn't feel guilty - you've done a great job. But, if you do want to pump again, it probably is not too late at all.

Good luck!
Amy

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2008 - 9:38am
Just remember that your body is still adjusting to not making milk, so that might be part of your emotional roller coaster. You've done a great thing to give you LO any BM! But you can definitely relactate with some effort if you want to. Give yourself a hug, take a quiet moment and congratulate yourself on all of the work you did so far. You are NOT a terrible mom for giving your LO formula. Congrats on making it to 5 months and good luck moving forward.
Jullie
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-26-2008 - 11:23am

I am so sorry you feel that way. It is perfectly natural.

-Lax

"Life is what happens, while you are busy making plans."
~ John Lennon ~

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-30-2008 - 9:04am
Just wanted to check in and see how you are feeling?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket