Why isn't Ethan rolling over yet? (m)

iVillage Member
Why isn't Ethan rolling over yet? (m)
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 7:27am
He's 5 1/2 months now, and he really doesn't seem interested in rolling over. He doesn't really like tummy time - he'll only hang around on his tummy for maybe 10 minutes before he starts to cry. I've seen him roll from front to back, but he doesn't seem to want to repeat the experience. He absolutely loves to jump and practice standing, so I know at least he is developing his arm and leg strength. Anybody else have a late roller? Should I be worried that he's not more mobile at this point?

-Melanie

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 6:34pm
Hi Melanie,

Don't worry. Jared was a late crawler and rolled everywhere he wanted to get. It was so funny to watch him spy something across the room and then roll over to it rather than crawl ~ lol. Ethan will be mobil soon enough. Enjoy the peace while you can.

Kristie

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 3:59pm
*LOL* No offense at all! Actually, Ethan does have a big head - it's been bigger than average since birth. He's already outgrown the 6-9 month hat I just got for him, and like I said, he's only 5 1/2 months. Come to think of it, the last time we were at the pediatrician, they asked me a similar question, and said that heavier babies tend to roll over later. Anyway, it sounds like I don't have to worry too much about it, so I guess I'll cross it off my "to obsess about" list. :) Thanks very much!
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 11:57am
In my baby group we have all kinds of babies. They are all about 7 or 8 months. Some rolled early at 3 months and some did not roll until after 6 months. They are all so different. I was also reading somewhere in one of my baby books that activity level and milestones like that are largely related to temperament than anything else. Is Ethan a calm sit back and take it all in baby? The calmer babies in our group rolled over later and the more interactive I need to know about this world NOW babies rolled over sooner. Mackenzie rolled at 3 months and crawled at 6 months- both very early but I think it was mainly due to her temperament. She has never been a sit still baby from the day we brought her home from the hospital. It is rare for her to sit still for more than a minute! She tires me out. Sometimes I wish she was a bit calmer! LOL.

HTH,

Kate

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 11:20am
Melanie, don't worry. Gabriel only occassionally rolled front to back until jsut after 6mo. Now he rolls across the room and loves tummy time. Sounds like they are very similar. 5 weeks ago, Gabriel was showing no signs of mobility and now I can see that crawling is not far away!
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:25am
Melanie, Can I ask a question that's going to sound funny?

Does Ethan by any chance have a big head? I'm asking because Omar has a pretty small head compared to some other babies I've seen and he liked being on his tummy from very early on, and consequently, rolled pretty early on too. But, a couple of my friends who's babies have a lot bigger heads than Omar, didn't like being on their tummies or rolling either. But, both of them have seemed to grown into their body, and are 7 and 8 months and quite mobile.

Just a thought (and hope I didn't offend you?!)

Steffie

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 8:40am
Hey Melanie,

Aidan is the same age as Ethan and he isn't rolling over yet either. He gets over on his side but hasn't gotten the hang of going all the way over. But, he loves standing and bouncing too so his legs are real strong. I'm not too concerned about it, babies seem to do things in their own time.

HTH, Mary & Aidan