Breastfeeding and Biting

iVillage Member
Breastfeeding and Biting
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:09am
Another member here suffering from my baby biting....

My DS has his 2 bottom teeth in and is now working actively on his top ones. He's only bit me hard once, but tends to nibble a bit when he pulls off or first latches on. I've had quite a bit of pain in one of my breasts when I feed him. I've talked to 2 lactation consultants about the possibility of a yeast infection, so I'm getting some cream for that, although we all tend to be in agreement that isn't probably the real problem, it's probably the irritation from teething.

I'm just a little concerened because I've been lucky to have so few problems with BFing until now, and now that I'm reaching my goal of 6 months, I'm also at the point of trying to figure out where we go from here. Logistically, I am so ready to stop BFing (pumping has become a bit of a pain), but emotionally, I don't think either me or my baby are ready to wean. So, hopefully, this won't push me over the edge.

just had to vent a little....

Steffie

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 9:36pm
Steffie, hang in there!! Just work with Omar and tell him "no bite" when he does it and take him off the breast. Hopefully things will change soon. I'm still enjoying bfing Jared at 20mo (never thought I'd make it 6mo, let alone this long). When he starts getting teeth I can tell, and sometimes my nipples are sore, but we just take it easy and it subsides after a little while. You've done a great job bfing this long!

Hugs,

Kristie

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 6:42pm
Maggie bites me occasionally. It usually occurs just before a tooth breaks through. She actually did it tonight. She is working on her molars. These are big, dull teeth!!! I gave her a firm "ouch" and "no biting". That has gotten her to stop in the past, usually with a nervous giggle. Tonight she bit again. So I put her on the floor. She then got upset and when she nursed again, she did not bite.

I totally understand what you mean about wanted to continue emotionally. I love nursing. I went back to work for five months and grew to hate my pump. I decided that it was worth it to stick it out, but you have to do what is best for you. I do have a friend that started formula during the day and then nursed at home at night and mornings and weekends. Her son only recieved the formula at day care. I thought I would give up nursing when Maggie turned a year, but neither of us is ready yet!

Brenda and Maggie (12 1/2 months)

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 2:51pm
Steffie - Sorry you're having a difficult time. I am lucky in that Joshua has not yet really bitten me with his tooth, at least not hard. I don't have any suggestions to get him to stop biting, but I can tell you to take things one day at a time. We battled thrush (which hopefully this is NOT for you) for a while at the beginning, and I just made mini-goals for myself to continue BFing. If this is something you both want, hopefully you can find a way to make it work. If you are ready to stop, then feel proud that you've given DS such a great beginning in life by BFing him.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 2:47pm
Steffie, I've heard that there are two different things you can do to stop little ones from biting. The first is to unlatch them and say "no biting" then try again, if they bite again then detach and make them wait a bit before trying again. The theory here is that if the baby is really hungry then they won't bite, but if the baby is biting then it's just playtime nursing. This is what Sraah does, If she bites me (her first teeth are just starting to come through) then I know she's not hungry. The other hing you can do is push their face into the breast for a moment. This causes them to unlatch becasue they can't breathe through their nose. Again your supposed to say "no biting" then try again. Usually they catch on pretty fast.

I know what you mean about emotionally not being raady to wean. Originally I planned to BF Sarah for a year only but now it looks like it could go as long as two years.

(((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Suzanne

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:21am
I can't offer any advice, but here are some hugs and I will listen to you vent when ever you need to!

-Teresa

Edited 3/28/2003 12:22:41 PM ET by taboles