When to tell?

iVillage Member
When to tell?
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 9:52pm
I am almost finished with my 11th week but am confused about when this trimester ends. I thought people usually tell others they are pregnant at the end of 3 months but doesnt the second trimester only start at 14 weeks. We saw the heart beat last week and are really anxious to tell our friends (especially since I have been feeling so sick). When do you all plan to tell? What have you heard?
iVillage Member
In reply to: brightplay
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 11:00am
First Off Congratulations! Second I told as soon as we found out about 6-8 weeks mainly because I got out of the Air Force so I knew our families would know and secondly because I was not feeling well. From what i heard a lot of People wait to get to the second trimester because so much can go wrong in the first but i think since you are weeks away from the 2nd Trimester and you have heard the heartbeat it would be fine to go ahead and spill the beans so to speak. Good Luck!

Teresa edd 6/28
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 11:06am
I think it's really just a matter of what you're comfortable with. My boyfriend and I initially said that we wouldn't inform anyone until the start of my 2nd trimester, and that just went straight out the window at about week four. :) We were just too excited to keep it in. Besides, the more people you tell, the more people there are to pray that everything develops properly! Plus, I was just soooo fatigued, that I had to give people SOME reason as to why it would take me a week to return their phone calls...

I'm 13 1/2 weeks and just informed my supervisor at the end of last week. I'm starting to portrude a little bit and didn't want him to notice this before I'd informed him. I have a friend, though, who informed her supervisor much sooner, cuz there was just no hiding her horrible morning sickness. I just started getting my surge of energy toward the end of last week, too!

Hope that helps!

Jaye and Cashew, EDD 10/02

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 9:32pm
Hi, I would go ahead and tell now since you've heard the hearbeat and feel pretty confident about your pregnancy.

Kristie

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 12:24pm
Thanks for all the advise on this. I haven't told anyone yet, and I was wondering about some other opinions. Thanks for asking the question and answering it.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 8:27pm
There are varrying ideas of when the first trimester ends. Really, though, it isn't a hard and fast rule. The risk of m/c is a gradually reducing thing, by the time you are 12 weeks or so it's down to 2 or 3%. There's no magic day (i.e. the start of the second trimester) when you're "in the clear." As far as telling people, you have to do that when you feel comfortable with it. I always imagined we'd wait a while, but once I was actually pregnant, I realized how much I would need the support of my close friends and family if anything were to go wrong, and we told everyone who's very important to us almost right away. I'm 18 weeks now, and I can't imagine having kept it from everyone until just a few weeks ago. It was important to me to have the support of my friends through the ups and downs of the first trimester. So just worry about what's right for you, rather than a specific date.

--Angi

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 9:13pm
Congratulations! I'm 24 weeks now. I told family and close friends at 5 or 6 weeks. I'm terrible at keeping good news, so I decided to tell only the people who I would want to support me if something did go wrong. And from there I just kinda gradually widened the circle of people who knew. I would say that it's a good time for you to let people know. There really isn't a correct time, just whenever it feels right for you!

Laura