D&C or natural?

iVillage Member
D&C or natural?
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 12:18pm
Went to the dr today for ultrasound. The baby died at 6-7 weeks. Have to go for D&C on Friday.

***DOES ANYONE KNOW IF IT IS BETTER TO LET THE DEAD FETUS WORK ITS WAY OUT OR TO GO FOR A D&C?**** I am almost 10 weeks along and just turned 35.

I am devestated. I know this happened because the fetus could not survive the five weeks of alcohol I put in my system before I knew. My husband knows, too. I'm just glad I found out now.

F(((( Y)) to the doctor who would not see me until 10 weeks! She would have kept me going another week of thinking I had a miracle living inside of me. I am so glad I found another doctor who took the serious time to listen to my concerns about the alcohol and schedule me for an ultrasound today.

I have gone from a size 8 to 12 in pants, and had to buy all new pants. I went up a cup size. It will now be taken away. My mom was so looking forward to her first grandchild. We were so happy about it and had just started telling people.

Well, off to the gym to do situps and try to get my waist back. I know some of you know what I am going through. Man, this is awful.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 2:16pm
I am so sorry for your loss. I don't have an answer for your question, but wanted to let you know how sorry I am.

~Wendy

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 9:06pm
sorry for the loss.In my opinion,I would get the D & C....but that's just my opinion....
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 7:32am
I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this. My opinion would be to have the D&C since the baby has not come out yet. I think it might help you to have closure quicker and you won't have to carry around a dead fetus, constantly wondering when it will deliver itself.

Also, try not to beat yourself up too much. I have a friend who just lost her second pregancy the same way and she didn't have any alcohol. It's more likely that there was a chromosomal (sp?) problem with the baby and that's why it died. But, you can use this as an opportunity to evaluate your alcohol consumption, and if you want to become pregnant again, then you need to stop drinking all together.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss and I'm sending quick healing vibes your way.

Kristie

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 7:38am
I am sorry for your loss. My aunt & I were discussing this last weekend. She had a m/c with a d&c and I had a natural m/c. She had an u/s to find out she lost the baby, I started bleeding. Her dr told her that she could wait for her body to start the m/c process or have the d&c. He told her that if she was his wife, he'd say get the d&c (this is a dr that a lot of the women in my family use back home b/c we like him so much).

Personally, I would opt for the d&c if you aren't bleeding yet. I would think it would help you with the grieving process, but that is JMHO.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Hugs,

Holly

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 9:06pm
Thanks so much for your thoughts.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 8:44pm
Hi all,

My last trip to this board. I had the D&C Thursday, and I have to say that for Northern MD's, they did a wonderful job consoling me. Hubby was with me. Mom babysat me. I have everything.

I wish you all well in all that you are growing, nurturing and hugging. Hope to see you soon.

--

boston redhead

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 8:18am
I'm glad to hear that it went well for you. Quick healing vibes and hopefully we'll see you here again soon. Kristie