Showing already??

iVillage Member
Showing already??
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 1:07pm

Hi

I am only in the middle of my 14th week and my stomach has all of a sudden started pooching out. I thought this was not really going to happen till around 20 weeks?

I was 5'3: 115 when I started and have gained around 6 pounds, but is this a sign of overeating or just a baby and weak stomach muscles? :) Just really surprised since I try to keep in shape (although I never did like the situp). I'm pretty small framed so this seems to make me look much further along than I am.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Should I eat less? Haven't been pigging out, but definitely eating more than I used to. I thought the overeating weight would show up in other places, which all seem totally normal right now (ie butt, thighs...)

Thanks

Julie

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 2:23am
It's probably just your size, I'm 5'4" and started out around 117, and I started pooching out a bit by only 8 weeks. I'm 19 weeks now, and I've been really showing for quite a while. Everyone just says it's because I'm small, there wasn't anywhere for the baby to hide :) My mom was the exact same way when she was pregnant with me. I'm sure you're eating just fine, enjoy your belly!

--Angi

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 8:13am
Hi Julie, what you're experiencing is totally normal and not due to overeating. Continue to eat the way you are now. I think you're starting to show some due to your small size, you don't have as much room to hide the baby. You're probably hitting that stage where you feel fat rather than pregnant, which will go away soon. Enjoy that belly! Kristie
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 11:05am
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

THis board has been really helpful for me, and I thank you

Julie

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 12:00pm
I am 15 weeks today and noticed in the last week that my stomach popped out. All of my work clothes are now tight and uncomfortable. I just bit the bullet and bought some maternity jeans so I can be comfy. I'm a little surprised to. I am your size and haven't really gained more than a pound or two so I'm can't believe that my stomach is poking out!
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 8:59am
I'm only 8 weeks along, and I'm showing BIG TIME! It's beginning to worry me...My stomach is as big as a girlfriend of mine who is 20 weeks! None of my clothes fit anymore. I'm eating more than normal, but not gorging myself....before pregnancy, I was a size 6/8, 5'6", and 130 lbs.... Twins don't run in my family....does anyone else know what this could mean?

Thanks!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 2:33pm
I am only 7w3d and I have a pooch at the bottom of my belly. I am worried about that too. I am right at 5'even and 118 lbs. Is that normal? I can still fit into my pants but they are just a little tight.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2003 - 8:21pm
I switched to maternity pants in my 8th or 9th week. Everyone kept telling me I must be having twins, but my uterus measured the right size for how far along I was, my belly just pooched out ahead of it. Don't worry about it, everyone is different. I'll be 20 weeks tomorrow, and I'm still much bigger than most people are at this point, and definitely only having one. Try to relax and enjoy your belly :)

--Angi

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-26-2003 - 11:26am
You are very lucky in my eyes. I am 19 weeks along and have gained almost thirty pounds. I went from a size 6 to a size ten by ten weeks. and just kept going and going...I also was just at the dr.s and she showed no concern and advised me not to diet. Ask your doctor they might make you feel more at ease. I used to smoke, drank at least two pots of coffee a day, and only ate one meal a day. I knew I was in for some weight gain. Be proud of your belly. Althought I have gained so much its all in my belly which leaves no question that I am pregnate.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-30-2003 - 1:46pm
i feel like i was showing "early" too. at 10 weeks i finally switched to maternity pants - at that point, i could still wear my regular work pants, but after eating i was so uncomfortable that i decided to finally get my money's worth out of my maternity clothes. plus the maternity stuff is so cute now =)

i'm now 13 weeks and wearing maternity pants, skirts full time now. i am 5"3 and was 105 prior to pregnancy and am told that had alot to do with it. i am kind of thankful that i'm showing because only seeing the dr once a month, its nice to know that my little baby is growing and things are going right =)

take care,

jen
Pregnancy%20ticker