How to tell your family and friends???

iVillage Member
How to tell your family and friends???
Sun, 07-27-2003 - 12:32am
My husband and I just found out that we are going to have our first baby - I am only 5 weeks pregnant, and we are extremly excited and can not wait to tell our family and friends - we are trying to come up with a cute and creative way to tell them that we are expecting but haven't come up with to much that is practical....

Just wanted to see if any one had any cute ideas!!

:) Thanks

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-27-2003 - 2:52pm
First of all - CONGRATULATIONS!

I was too shocked to do anything when I found out I was pregnant LOL. I was engaged and on BC but it still happened. We just told everyone we had something to tell them about our wedding. We had already set a date, I had picked out a dress for me and the bridesmaids, etc. So, I went to everyone's home and told them (with a very serious face)"the wedding's off for next year". DH (DF at the time of course!) was there so everyone just looked at him and wondered if I was joking. Then they'd ask why?. And I told them (again looking serious) "becuase we got an early gift that we can't return" It always took a second, but everyone got it. (They scolded me for a second for scaring them but then congratulated us) We did have our wedding, two months later, excactly as we planned it for this year. Thank goodness I still fit into the dress I had ordered! I just wanted to share that :o) but here are some ideas:

You can send the (future) grandparents and aunts & uncles (if there aren't too many) a T-shirt that says "I Love ---" (grandma, grandpa, etc.) They'll be sure to call you!

You can have a family dinner, with both famiies together, or seperate, and give them all a card from www.fetalgreetings.com . Some of them I find a bit unsettling, I don't know why, but some of them are cute.

Is your birthday or DH's birthday coming up? You can make up a cute birthday wish list with all baby items and send it to everyone. (Just to break the news of course)

You can also tell your close family members that you really need their help with a home project. Give them pictures of ideas for a nursery in an envelope. Put a note in front saying "We'll have an extra two feet soon - what do you think of these ideas?" (Be careful on this one though - it may backfire if they think it's really an invitation to help. LOL)

Well, these may not be the best ideas, they're just something I thought up after reading your post. I'm always redecorating the house so I know the last one would've worked for me. My parents actually gave me a gift card to Home Depot when I had the baby LOL!

Congratulations again. I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy and much good luck.

- Alexa

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-30-2003 - 7:02am
Congratulations on your little one!

My DH & I found out right before Easter, so we bought Happy Easter Grandmom, and Happy Easter Grandpop cards. We signed the cards "Grandbaby to be".

It took them all reading it twice, and then they screamed and jumped up and down, and cried.

Our mom's went to the 3D u/s with us so they knew it was a boy, but no-one knew we had a name. We sent them wallet pictures of him in a card and wrote To Grandmom/To Grandpop, (put the pictures), and signed his name. I think they will get them today or tomorrow.

Whatever you do it will be memorable!

Brandy & Cade

EDD Dec 21 #1

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-30-2003 - 11:13am
Congratulations!! How exciting!

We found out we were expecting a few weeks before Christmas, so for Christmas we bought lovely photo frames with plaques on them that say "Grandchildren". Inside the frames we put a card that said (we did this on the computer) "Reserved for Baby M___, expected August 2003". We wrapped them and gave them to our parents as gifts.

This worked well for us and was really funny, because we have 2 dogs who are basically like our children, and our parents are the dogs "grandparents". Our dogs always get Christmas gifts from their "grandparents", and the dogs get them gifts, too. So when our parents saw the gift tags that said "Grandma and Grandpa", they assumed that it was from the dogs and didn't even bat an eye! So it really a shocker for them!

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-30-2003 - 1:31pm
That is funny. We would normally sign our names and the Grandcat!

So that's why they all did a double take.

Brandy & Cade

Photobucket