Read Any Good PG Books?

iVillage Member
Read Any Good PG Books?
Sun, 07-27-2003 - 11:15pm
Just wanted to get some feedback. I am currently reading 3 different pg books, but wanted some feedback from all of you. What are the best books that you read during your pregnancy? I am giving birth w/ a doctor (high risk) at the hospital. EDD 2/29/04.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

LeAnne

EDD 2/29/04

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-28-2003 - 9:21pm
I really like "Your Pregnancy Week-By-Week". I also have "What To Expect When You Are Expecting" - had to read it since it seems to be the bible for most pregnant women. A friend bought me "Girlfriends Guide To Pregnancy" and that has been fun to read and different from all the others. I also have "A Child Is Born" which I loved reading when I first found out I was pregnant because the photos are amazing and you get more of the physiological info about how you got pregnant in the first place. I have a few others, but those are the main ones. I also have the "Baby Bargains" book which is really helpful in helping you select a crib, infant seat, stroller, clothes, bedding etc.

Best wishes for a healthy (and well-informed) pregnancy!

Yolanda EDD 10/23 w/#1 (A BOY)

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-31-2003 - 12:43am
I think the best book is "What to expect when you are expecting" I have several other pregnancy books, but I always end up referring back to this one when I have a question. Almost always the answer is there. Good luck to you.

Carol

EDD 8/10

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-01-2003 - 4:20pm
I only have two books "Girlfriends Guide To Pregnancy" (really entertaining) and "The Pregnancy Book: A Month-By-Month Guide" by Sears and Sears (excellent - and highly recommended by friends and midwives).

I personally found "What To Expect When You Are Expecting" very condesending. They talk about what you HAVE to do as opposed to informing you and letting you making your decision base on the information that you are given.

"Your Pregnancy Week-By-Week" was also recommended by a friend, but by the time I heard about it, I found that I had enough information from this website and a few others (like pampers.com).

All in all, I'd have to say that if you invest in the series of Sears and Sears book, you'll be quite happy.

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316779148/qid=1059768968/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_19_8/701-1792475-8335565

All the best,

Doris

EDD 9-16

Doris & little Emily
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2003 - 2:50pm
Hi,

The Sears books the other ladies mentioned are good. "What to Expect When You're Expecting" is a good reference book, but I wouldn't suggest it until your second trimester. It kind of scared me before then! I LOVE the "Pregnancy Journal, A Day-to-Day Guide to a Healthy and Happy Pregnancy". It is informative, but not alarming...it talks about what is going on each day with your body and with the baby! The girlfriends guide to pregnancy is okay...its more entertaining than anything. Basically, what it comes down to is that EVERY book has its good and bad points so you need to pick and choose from them. Go with your instincts and a highlighter!