Vent

iVillage Member
Vent
Wed, 08-20-2003 - 9:58am
Would random people STOP feeling so free to comment on my size, my baby's name, and anything else that's none of their business!!!???? I swear, people think that they can say any and everything to pregnant women, and I'm tired of it.

I think the one that irritates me most is, "Ooh, you look bigger every time I see you!" Well, SHOULDN'T I???? I mean, is it okay w/people that my baby grow??? Christ. Not that this matters, but I'm measuring right where I should be for 34 weeks. My point is, even if I WERE too big for my # of weeks, it's none of their business! I'm just so sick of the rude behavior. I hope you all aren't getting too much of the same, cuz it just makes me want to scream.

Jada EDD 10/02

iVillage Member
In reply to: jaye218
Wed, 08-20-2003 - 10:14am
I'm 31 weeks and carrying it ALL out front. Combine that with big ta-tas and I look bigger than I am. I have only gained 16 pounds! Anyway, my co-worker overheard a bunch of people talking about how "big" I am getting! I think I look perfectly normal compared to lots of pregnant women I have seen. Honestly, she said they went on and on. At least they had the grace to not say it to my face. Most other people I know have been really nice. What I hate is the constant questions from strangers, "So when are you due" and all that jazz. Sometimes I just want to buy my milk, clothes, whatnot and just move on. After the 20th time it does get old. Lovely day, Shannon
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-20-2003 - 10:16am
Sorry. I know people can make inappropriate comments. Unfortunately it doesn't get any better once your little one is born - the comments just change. You may as well start practicing that fake smile and stupid lines like "Thank you for being concerned" and "Oh, I'll have to give that a try".

As much as I have wanted to come-back with a smart-a@@ comment to these people, I figured it was just easier to smile and say something stupid to appease them.

Good luck and keep growing that wonderful little baby!

Carol w/ Meghan and Carrie (3-26-03)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-22-2003 - 3:05am
It's annoying isn't it? But it just gets worse after they're born - because then random strangers will feel free to comment on your parenting!!

I used to get so angry... then I started dealing with it with my own warped and somewhat poisonous sense of humor...

For instance:

"You get bigger every time I see you" - "You know, I was going to say you look older every time I see you, but then I realized it was just as obvious as what you just said..."

"Are you putting on too much weight?" - "No... which is weird, because I notice that you've been putting on weight lately, and *I'm* the one who's pregnant... how odd is that?"

"The morning sickness is all in your head" - "Despite how stupid that comment sounds, you're actually right - that's where the hormonal imbalance that causes the nausea actually stems from... did you go to medical school to learn that?"

"You've got severe morning sickness? Have you tried Saltines?" - "Well, yes, but I find that they're not usually aerodynamic enough when I try to fling them at stupid people who ask that to actually hit the target - so I've switched to throwing rocks instead..."

Girlfriend, I know you're over it... but start going to... if anyone acts shocked or offended just say "whoops... must be those damn pregnancy hormones again!" and smile...

Big big hugs!

yndy & Kira 1/24/03

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-22-2003 - 5:33am
HI there!! I fully understand what you are going through and I wish I could say it gets better.

I should be having my bay any day now, and my husband and I are soooo sick of people saying gosh when are you going to have that baby. Wow you look ready to pop. No baby yet. Could you wait untill monday, so I wont be working that day. Who do all these people think they are. If I could tell Eddie when to come out I would but it sure wouldnt be when everyone else thinks it should be. Like I can try to have him on someone elses b-day, like his mom asked. And considering that would have been a month early, how rude was that for her to say! Just hang in there. There is nothing you can do to stop them so ignore them. Sorry I dont have any better advice.

Andreanna

Edward Harper if not born by tuesday induction on wednesday

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 1:12pm
Yep! People are so insensitive. And the crazy thing is that most of the stupid comments come from women who have been in our shoes, so you would think they would've learned what not to say to a pregnant woman!!
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-25-2003 - 3:26pm
Jada, I'm sorry your having such a rough time. I always got comments when I was pregnant as well. Even when I was towards the end, I carried really high, and I would make a comment to someone about dropping. They'd go "Oh your not dropping, you still have another 3 to 4 weeks". It annoyed the crap out of me, partially because I was ready to deliver and wanted to not be pregnant. If someone is constantly making comments, say something to them in a polite manner. Maybe they will get a clue, if not you may need to be a bit more insistant. I hope things get better for you! Not too much longer before you deliver, but after that happens everyone will be paying the attention currently on you, on him or her. Try to let people know how uncomfortable it makes you. Good luck!

~Kristina & Ani Rose 3/21/03

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-28-2003 - 12:03am
I'm not showing yet, so my favorite inappropriate question is "how long were you trying?" What's the deal? Do these people instantly want me to rattle off the sexual habits of myself and my husband? I think that's pretty personal information. So there!

Claire

EDD 4/11/04