Name argument! (LONG!)

iVillage Member
Name argument! (LONG!)
Fri, 10-03-2003 - 10:24am
First off, I'm sorry and apologize in advance if I offend anyone with my opinons and thoughts. With that said...

I've posted about this before, but the situation is just not getting any better. I know it's not that big of a deal, but it keeps coming back. We cannot agree on boy's names. Don't even know if it's a boy or girl yet (yes, we are finding out), that will either solve the situation or make it worse.

He wants to name the boy essentially after himself. His name is Bret Michael, but he goes by Sam. He wants to name the baby Samuel Michael. I don't like the thought of the baby and him using the same name, Sam. I think it will cause too much confusion. I said I wanted to name it Logan Wallace, after my late grandfather. He doesn't like the name Logan, because he knew a kid by that name and it's "ruined" which I completely understand. I can do without Logan, but would still like to honor my g-pa. So...I come up with Samuel Wallace, thinking it's a great compromise! Right? Well, he's so stubborn that he still says he wants Samuel Michael. Doesn't want to compromise! So, we're looking at other names, but he keeps going back to Samuel Michael. I just don't know what to do!

So last night he comes home after work (2 am!) and is talking to me while he's in the bathroom and I'm in bed. He says another name, Cal. I told him that I wasn't too fond of it, and gave him my reasons-too "old" for my taste, and plus, I knew someone with that name with Down's Syndrome. I felt that it's just kind of a bad omen. So then he says something about that was why he didn't like Logan, because the kid he knew had it too. I said, "you never told me that." He says, "well, he actually didn't have it, just looked like it!" I said that was totally different. So, he kind of blows up and says, "Fine! You name the kid! I'm sick of thinking about it!" I'm like, yeah, that's pleasant! So, of course, me being the diplomatic and calm one, said "It's your child too, you'll be part of the naming process." He is just being irrational about it.

Basically, I know he wants me to cave and use Samuel Michael if we have a boy, because he's throwing a fit and thinks he'll get his way. If he continues this, then I guess I will name it Samuel Wallace, using the compromise. Or one of the other names that we had thought "OK" but have reservations about, like using a friend's "chosen" name.

One of my girlfriends suggested that we just cool it with the names right now and let the situation calm down. We should find out in about two weeks what we are having. I have it in the back of my mind that I would like a boy, but am almost wishing that we have a girl, so this situation goes away!

Any advice? If you've stuck with me this far, I really appreciate it!!!

Sara

edd 3/8

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-03-2003 - 11:52am
We had to work on a compromise about naming the baby. We talked about names a little before I got pregnant. He is a 3rd and said he didn't really care if the baby was a 4th or not that the name didn't matter just having a healthy baby did.

Well, when he found out we were having a boy he didn't like the name we had picked out previously. He said it was the name he liked the most but it would be neat to have a 4th. So he wanted a 4th but wanted to call him by something else. I told him I really doubted that the baby would have a boy and name that boy the 5th. I also thought making the name that long and then calling him by something else would completely comfuse the poor guy.

We ended up keeping his first name and I picked a middle name, and he said he did really like it. We will be calling the baby by his middle name.

I just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one wanting to take part in naming your baby.

Brandy

edd Dec 21

W/William "Cade"

Oh, he also said "you know, naming a kid is a lot harder than naming a pet!" ha-ha.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-03-2003 - 3:10pm
I hate to say it, but I agree with your friend. Maybe you guys should back of the name thing for a little bit, at least until you find out what you are having. It could be a girl and you could forgo all the arguing. If it is a boy, my vote is definitely compromise, not caving. You have to like the name too. Just my two cents. =0)

Jennifer & Jake (6/6/03)

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-03-2003 - 3:37pm

I'm sorry you guys are having such a rough time. The good thing is that you have plenty of time to decide. My Dh and I had our names picked out for like all of our kids before they were even thought of. So we just knew we wanted to name our first daughter Ani Rose. I wanted Ani Rose to be her first name and have the middle name as Marie after my grandmother. Ani is after a musician and Rose is after his grandmother. Well while I was in labor I told him that I wanted to do it, and he declined. The nurse made this comment that I was the one to sign the birth certificate anyways lol. Now afterwards we wished I would of done it that way.

You don't have to stick to the traditional One first name one middle name. You can have his name be Samuel Wallace Michael. Maybe thats something you can think about. It's not like this will definetly only be your only kid. Thats something to keep in mind as well. Maybe it would be best to let things cool off till your both not feeling so strongly about things. :) Hopefully you can reach a compromise that works for both of you. Best of luck and keep us updated!

Kristina & Ani Rose 3/21/03   

"A child said, What is the grass

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-03-2003 - 11:09pm
My hubby hates the name I picked for a boy Aidan....We don't know what we are having yet either...He has a son from a previous marriage and he got to name him..after his dad which is tradition in greece...we'll sorry but i am canadian and i like the name I chose and am going to stick with it. This is my first, he had his chance with his son!!! If bean here is a girl Hannah, which we agreed on! Good luck 2 u!!!