How do I control TOO much weight gain?

iVillage Member
How do I control TOO much weight gain?
Sat, 01-24-2004 - 3:26pm
Hey all!!!

I was wondering if you any of you great moms to be have any fantastic methods to control weight gain? It seems like I eat everything in sight and I am only 3 mos if this continues I will gain soooo much weight I swear. Does anyone have any workout routines you would recomend I would greatly appreciate it. Hope to hear from many of you I could use lots of help!!

April
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-24-2004 - 6:13pm
Well I don't know how much help I will be... except as an example of what NOT to do lol. I gained 60 pounds!!! I still have 27 left to lose :( but he is only 5 weeks old so I think I will sooner or later. But if I had it to do over again, I would exercise way more in the first trimester. I ran and did a lot of working out before I was pregnant but then when I was preggo I thought it might hurt the baby... so I pretty much quit exercising completely. Also I got WAY too excited about being able to eat for 2. So by the end of the 3rd month I had already gained around 15-20 pounds. My only advice is... eat healthy, but don't start eating for two until you really need to! And keep exercising throughout your whole pregnancy. I exercised a lot my 3rd trimester because I was freaking out about all the weight I had gained. I think if I had just done that the whole time I would have done a lot better. Swimming is awesome once you start getting really big, because in the water I felt all light and not even pregnant, I couldn't feel my gigantic belly when I swam. If you like swimming I would recommend doing that a lot, it's great for keeping your entire body in shape. Good luck!

Caryn

Benjamin Nathan 12/17/03
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-24-2004 - 6:33pm
Caryn,

Thanks so much for the advice. I have already started eating for two. My doc has put on an all protein so I guess I need to take it more seriously. I have heard that swimming is a great exercise. I am not much of a swimmer myself, but I think I will give it a try. What do you think about step classes are they safe?? Thanks again for responding,

April
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-28-2004 - 2:12pm
Make healthy food choices and don't get on the scale.

I really like the video "Baby and Mom Pre-Natal Yoga", but I think exercise videos and routines are a personal matter. Can you get any videos or books from your library to see what works for you?

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-06-2004 - 1:12pm
I drank lots of water - usually flavored with lemon or lime.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"

Lyra - Mom to Acadia

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-20-2004 - 2:07pm
I have been walking. Just any short jaunt I would usually drive I have started walking if I can. For example, I take the train into Los Angeles and usually I take a shuttle after that, but b/c it is only 1 mile, I have been walking it. Also, I have been going on walks w/ my DH, my dog, or both. It's so nice just to walk around, look at the houses and talk. I used to run marathons but in the last couple of years the pace of life has picked up so I haven't really done any working out. I think I have been finding my little walks much more pleasurable. I don't have to put on any special gear and I can do it whenever I feel like it. Of course, I am only 10 weeks right now, we'll see how I'm feeling about it when I'm a nine month waddler.

HTH

Laura