Does anyone else's baby do this?

iVillage Member
Does anyone else's baby do this?
Mon, 08-02-2004 - 1:34pm
My 10 month old son, has a horrible habit that he has picked up. He grinds his two top front teeth together with his bottom two teeth. I'm not sure what to do, but it is driving me crazy. Its like hearing nails on a chalkboard. That and I'm wondering if he's ruining his baby teeth by doing this. The only thing that seems to work is by him sucking on his pacifier, but I'm also trying to get him away from sucking on the pacifier all day long. Does any of your babies do this? Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks, Tami
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2004 - 2:24pm

Cade is only 7 months and as of today only has his bottom 2 teeth. He is getting in one of hte top ones but it hasn't broken through yet. He grinds his gums. I just thought it had to do with feeling his teeth and they are new and also learning to chew still.

I would

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2004 - 12:05am

My son doesn't have teeth yet but my close friend's son started grinding his teeth when he first got the top and bottom ones. The sound was pretty horrible. They used the pacifier trick too. After awhile he just quit grinding his teeth without the pacifier in his mouth. Perhaps it is just a phase. Good luck with it.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2004 - 7:37am
i asked this very question recently on the Oct. '03 playgroup board...there were a few replies basically saying it's nothing to worry about & sure enough soon after i posted my question she stopped doing it (that's not to say she'll start again any day now but...).

i know it's hard to listen to...hope everything turns out ok...

Patti & Ilish (9/22/03)