Surprise Baby Shower! :)

iVillage Member
Surprise Baby Shower! :)
Sun, 08-08-2004 - 8:39pm
I don't remember if I posted about my disaster baby shower in July, but my friends at church threw me a surprise shower yesterday. I was thinking it was for my friend Jen, who is due Aug 12th. They sent me a fake invite and cooked up a story about it and everything. The thing is, though, like 2 hours before the shower I decided I was going because of the terrible day I was having following the terrible week. So, my husband kept asking me, when do you have to get ready? I told him I wasn't going. He said "go, and enjoy this and try not to think about what happened" I said "I'm NOT going" He then said "Jenn, you have to, it's for you" I said "No, it's for Jen!" not believing him for half a second.

I couldn't believe it! I was so shocked, had absolutely NO idea! I was upset after my first shower thinking that I would have this bad memory and wanted such a good one and then I get this. It was so wonderful, so much fun and we got SO much stuff. I felt truly blessed by their love and kindness.

Just wanted to share :)

Jennifer

edd 9-11 Nicolas Robert

http://www.jennifersdreams.com/baby

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2004 - 11:00pm
i'm glad you got the shower you wanted & deserve...i had some stress over my shower prior to the fact but it turned out ok...now we're planning the 1st birthday party (& believe me there IS some planning going on!! :) and since dh & i are "in charge" i'm enjoying it so much... you have wonderful & thoughtful friends!!!

Patti & Ilish (9/22/03)

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2004 - 11:17am

That is amazing! Your church friends were so sweet! I had numerous people slip up about it (I love surprises so I was a little disappointed). I am glad you got everything you needed! Isn't it fun organizing, assembling and figuring out how to use all that baby gear! Isn't it a great feeling too that your little Nicolas is so loved already :)

*belly rubs*

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2004 - 6:15pm
Thank you :) I was pretty shocked and very happy that they went to all that trouble. I think it's such a nice memory to have :)

Aww 1st birthday party, that will be so special!! I hope you will share some photos! :)

Jennifer

edd 9-11 Nicolas Robert

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2004 - 6:18pm
Yeah, I felt soooo bad that I spoiled the surprise! Well, I didn't spoil it, it's just it had to be revealed to get me to go lol but still I was COMPLETELY surprised and shocked! I love washing all the little clothes and putting them away and just imagining there will be a little person here soon to use all this stuff! :)

Jennifer

edd 9-11 Nicolas Robert

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2004 - 10:28pm
Jennifer - I am so glad that you were able to experience a good shower! I would hate to think that you would have had such an swful experience (I didn't read about it, I apologize)

But I am very happy for you - given my emotional state I would have been crying my eyes out! LOL

-Mel-

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-11-2004 - 6:14pm
Thank you :) I don't even remember if I posted here about it actually. I posted it on the Sept Expecting Board and my prego brain has probably mixed up the two lol!

I was completely involved in my first one, had to do all the leg work to find a place, get the caterer, get the decorations, etc. The reason was, and it couldn't really be helped, my mother-in-law was throwing me a shower here in NY and my mother was throwing me one in MA where I am from. The thing is, the MA shower was to be, actually this weekend now that I look at the calendar, and I can't travel anymore being 35.5 weeks. So, suddenly I realized I had to try to combine both showers. My in-laws live in Brooklyn and I live upstate. So, my husband and I had to be the ones to get it all together and they funded it. I thought it would be fun, but in the end when we were there decorating and going nuts trying to get ready while people were showing up asking what I was doing there etc, etc I started to feel SO foolish. Then I was there to help empty the room and everything, including the leftover food ended up at my house. THEN the next day I was cleaning the loaned pans, utensils etc from the caterer. I just felt like I worked and didn't get to enjoy it. It was just a disaster. I was upset that I wasn't going to have this wonderful memory of a beautiful shower. So, I was really excited to have this beautiful memory afterall :)

Jennifer

edd 9-11 Nicolas Robert