Donating cord blood??

iVillage Member
Donating cord blood??
Mon, 08-09-2004 - 10:19am
Has anyone donated their baby's cord blood? If so, do you have any tips or advice to give someone considering this?
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2004 - 7:42pm
I haven't given birth but I will definately donate mine, I can't find anything negative on it but a lot of positive. Does anyone have information on how you go about doing this?
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-10-2004 - 2:46pm

We did not donate because of the extra cost. I heard about a bank that would accept the donation and if your family ever needed some that you would be able to get some but it wouldn't be the cord blood you donated. I know there are a lot of great programs out there. Ask Jeeves...he normally come up with great info!

www.ask.com

Good luck!

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-10-2004 - 4:01pm
I think there is a significant cost involved, but your doc or midwife should have some suggestions.

I personally felt that my baby was the rightful owner of that blood and it would benefit her to have it all, so we didn't cut the cord until about an hour after birth.

Janna

www.billandjanna.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-11-2004 - 6:05pm
Okay, time for me to step up on my soap box. This is something that I feel very strongly about as I was a bone marrow donor (stem cell procedure) for my sister a year ago. Donating the cord blood is FREE to you. If you wanted to store it away for your baby in case the need arises then it would cost a bit of money. One donation could possibly save 2 peoples lives. The cord blood is rich in stem cells which are being used for amazing things these days. (My donation of stem cells saved my sister's life and put her leukemia into remission) You can research it on the web site: www.marrow.org . I am so excited that they have come out with this research and are finding cures!

My only gripe, and it's a big one, is that you have to find a hospital in your area that does this (also on the web site)(There isn't one in my area). It is such an easy thing and it brings such hope to people's lives that I can't believe more people aren't supporting it right now. Anyways, if you can find a hospital in your area that will do this, then there really are no downsides to donating, unless you plan to store it yourself.

Best wishes,

Suzanne