We have a plan!!! SAHM here I come

iVillage Member
We have a plan!!! SAHM here I come
Sat, 08-14-2004 - 11:39pm

My DH knows how much I am depressed over leaving my little guy every morning, and how

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2004 - 11:19am
That's great, Brandy! If you have your DH's support, you two can surely make it work.

Check out the frugal living board. They have excellent ideas for cutting costs.

Janna

www.billandjanna.com

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-15-2004 - 5:23pm
Congrtulations! I can see you doing the happy dance your last day of work! :-D

-Mel-

Rowan Noelle due 11/19

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2004 - 1:01am

Congratulations! When DH and I found out in January that we were going to have a baby, that was my IMMEDIATE concern! I wanted to be a SAHM. (I've worked in daycare......and I would NOT leave my child with some of those people on a BET!) anyway, we were both raised in houses with SAHM's and it was important to both of us. My dh had just graduated from college and was in the middle of testing for several cities to try to get a job as a police officer, which as we all know pays NOTHING! Anyway, I was working at a law firm and hating every minute of it. We sat down like ya'll did, looked at our finances and MADE IT WORK! We got rid of my car, we paid off our big bills and moved to a cheaper apartment in the city he FINALLY got a job in. I was able to quit working in march, and my little boy is due in just over 4 weeks (although I may be induced as early as this friday due to PIH) and we've had to make some sacrifices, like you said, deciding what's a necessity and what's a "want". It's kinda hard to do at first, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad at all!!! Eating out is something I do NOT miss at all, it's just hard to have to say "okay....we can buy that...on payday." instead of just buying it then! Of course, that gives us a week or two to think if we REALLY need it, and 9 times out of 10, we end up just putting the money into savings instead of spending it! It got a little tight there the past month or so, but then dh just got an unexpected raise (nic of time!) so it's working out quite nicely!! Even though we DO have to make sacrifices, and when he's working days, I'll have to get up to get him to work by 6 am, it's really not a bad deal at all, when you consider that our little guy will never have to be without his mama, and his mama will never have to be without him!! (i'm thinkin' i would have a harder time with it than he would... :) )

Good luck!

Katie

Image hosted by Photobucket.com     

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2004 - 7:45pm
WHOOOHOOOO! Congratulations!

I am so happy for you, because just the other night I was reading your post to my DH, about the daycare situation, and your desire to be a SAHM, and I just felt so darn sorry that there was nothing I could do to help. I am so glad you have your hubby's support on this, and that you found a way to do it! Janna's right, there are so many good frugal living resources and support groups, dollar-stretching ideas online!

Three cheers for having the courage to pursue your dreams!

-Meg edd 9/17

-Meg, wife to a wonderful mail carrier and mother to a 3-year-old daughter, expecting a son by homebirth VBAC soon!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2004 - 9:59pm
YAY!! Congratulations!!

I totally understand about not wanting to leave your little one. I went through the same thing. After quitting my job to be a SAHM, they called to offer me part time work from home, totally flexible hours. It is wonderful being able to stay at home with my precious DD, and work when it is convenient. When it came down to it, I just couldn't leave my DD. We have soooo much fun =)

I created a spreadsheet of our expenses to estimate how much we would need and adjust to our new way of life. It helped tremendously to see how we actually spend.

Congrats to you for going for what you want, and for having such a supportive DH.

You're going to have so much fun!!

hugs,

Jen

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2004 - 10:38pm
yay...i'm so happy for you...it seems like this is truly what you want & i'm glad there is a way for you to make it work! Congratulations also on the prospect of having a little brother or sister for Cade...how exciting!!! it is a little rough at times but i believe it's truly worth it! good luck!

Patti & Ilish (9/22/03)