Glucose test elevated

iVillage Member
Glucose test elevated
Mon, 08-16-2004 - 3:02pm
Hi,

I am 10 weeks preggy now and I had a 3 hr Glucose test since both my parents are diabetic. My fasting was normal. but only the 2 hr was high. How concerned should I be? I have stopped taking sugar. but some times I do eat rice. Should I be very careful about my diet or Just try to control my sugar and carb intakes?

Thanks

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2004 - 3:37pm
Contrary to popular belief, having a family history of diabetes does not make you high risk for getting GD.

Also, the GTT is inaccurate because the normal person does not ingest that amount of sugar at one sitting and the average pregnant woman does not fast.

If you're following a healthy pregnancy diet, like the Brewer diet, you shouldn't be concerned.

Personally, I feel the GTT is a ridiculous test because it causes more worry than necessary. I declined mine and everyone in my family except me and mother are diabetic. If you contract GD, there will be symptoms like increased thirst, increased urination, weight loss even if you're eating well, fatigue, nausea and vomiting, infections and blurred vision. Yes, some of those symptoms are normal pregnancy symptoms, but with GD they are more severe.

I hope this info helps. :)

Janna

www.billandjanna.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2004 - 10:22pm
I would definitely be careful about your diet. I would ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician, though. While a low carb diet would help, you really need to make sure you get enough carbs, too. I have GD, was tested at week 28. I learned that too little carbs can harm your baby a lot. I have to test ketone levels in my urine every morning and if I have anything but a negative result, it's not a good thing. Ketones showing up in your urine means you aren't getting enough carbs which results in a baby that can have learning disabilities, ADD or ADHD type problems. So, it's not about eliminated carbs altogether it's about getting a balanced diet. Being that you're only 10 weeks, you could do very well with a planned diet since you'd probably have a lot of allowances since your weight gain so far is probably very minimal. That is how the dietician starts when determining a diet plan for you. Weight gain is also something they want to watch because GD makes for an oversized baby. So, this is a lot of info I know, but I would seriously try seeing a dietician that specializes in diabetes. Getting an early start on this could help you in the long run as well because those with GD have a high risk of getting adult onset diabetes later in life. Since your parents have it, you're already at risk, but learning to eat right now can delay it for you.

Good luck!! :)

Jennifer

edd 9-11 Nicolas Robert

http://www.jennifersdreams.com/baby

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-16-2004 - 10:45pm
I have GD and I didn't have any of those symptoms. I was also told by my dietician that it is hereditary and those with diabetics in their family are at a higher risk. This is a dietician at a diabetes treatment center. I was completely shocked when I found out I had GD, but glad to know so that I didn't do any harm to myself (since I am not at an increased risk of have diabetes later in life) or the baby (he could have low blood sugar when he is born if I didn't control my levels and have learning disabilities).

By fasting, they mean having not eaten for 12 hours which is easily done overnight anyway. Even though the average person doesn't consume as much sugar as given during the GTT in one sitting, it is an amount that should be tolerated without increased levels of glucose in your blood after a certain amount of time.

I'm not trying to belittle your feelings on the matter or start a debate, but for me it's become a serious subject that I think shouldn't be taken lightly. Our bodies are supposed to run a certain way to keep us healthy and if something is off, a lot of things can go wrong and harm you.

Just thought I would throw this in :)

Jennifer

edd 9-11 Nicolas Robert

http://www.jennifersdreams.com/baby

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-17-2004 - 1:15am
Hello! I too had to take the 3 hour test when I was pregnant with my daughter. I'm sure your OB will come to a definite decision or make you take another test. Until then I wouldn't be too worried. Your OB will be sure to direct you as to how you should make the changes in your diet.

Best of luck!

~Kristina & Ani Rose 3/21/03

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2004 - 11:03am
Jennifer,

No offense taken. I didn't mean to sound like I thought GD wasn't serious. It surely is and the 2-4% of pregnant women who have it need special care to ensure a healthy pregnancy and baby.

I feel that the GTT is overused, however. Statistically, if you're under 25, caucasian, and have a low BMI, you're not at risk. Why are women who fit into this profile routinely tested if they do not have any symptoms or elevated ketones? Also in my opinion, there should be another way to test for GD that doesn't put so much stress on a pregnant woman's body.

As far as heredity, I apologize for my error. It's what my midwife told me and I never researched it further because GD was of no concern to me. After reading up on it this morning I found there's only a slightly increased risk of getting GD if a parent or sibling has Type 2 diabetes. Type 1 does not increase your risk.

Thank you for forcing me to clarify myself and teaching me something new. :)

Janna