Maternity Clothes - How do you measure?

iVillage Member
Maternity Clothes - How do you measure?
Wed, 08-18-2004 - 9:51pm
I'm not quite ready for maternity clothes yet, but am wondering how they're sized. I looked at gap.com and their starter kit. I don't know if I buy pants in my regular pant size or a larger size. I'm a first timer, so any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2004 - 7:45am
i'm not sure how gap does it but at old navy, they suggest that if you were for instance a 4-6 in their regular pants that you would want a small in their maternity pants. they have a whole scale so you can tell. hope this helps a little. congrats by the way! i'll be needing some bigger pants soon myself ;)
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2004 - 8:28pm
They always say you should buy in your current size, but I've noticed that doesn't always work. My breasts increased in size very quickly in the beginning and a lot! So, I couldn't wear the same sized shirts. Even pants run differently depending on the material and place you buy from. I suggest always trying the clothes on before buying, especially if you go to Motherhood Maternity since you can't get your money back on a return!

Jennifer

edd 9-11 Nicolas Robert

http://www.jennifersdreams.com/baby

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2004 - 11:41am
This is my experience with Maternity clothes so far. Sorry this is kind of a long rant.

Remember that the clothes you are able to wear at 4 and 5 months aren't going to fit the same as they do in the 6th and 7th month and beyond. The clothes I bought in my 4th month looked really nice on me but as the belly grew the clothes didn't. For some reason, they allowed a litle room in the belly for someone trying them on at 4 or 5 months thinking they looked good and showed off your rounding tummy. NOw at 7 months, a few of those shirts are straining in the buttons across the middle. The rest of the shirt fits fine. If I wanted it to fit properly in the middle, I'd have to go up a size (in my case from a M to a L) but then it would be too frumpy in the shoulders and back.

The waist band thing..oh my. Ok, so it worked when I had a little belly. Now I can't stand anything going across the middle of my stomach. I have to put it under. Then the crotch of the pants hang down. It's not long enough to go over which would be preferable to have the support. Anything is better than a tight piece of elastic going right across the middle of your stomach. I had a pair of linen pants from m0th3rh00d with a piece of elastic in the back, which got too tight in the middle. I cut out the elastic and it was 4 inches long. 4 inches. It stretched only to 8 inches.

rrr. i have such a vendetta against maternity fashions and now that it's about to be fall and I have no fall clothes that fit, I'll have to buy a few more pieces, with only 11 weeks left to my due date. I've spent about $200 total on clothes, so I don't feel too bad. I know women that have spent a lot more than I have and been just as frustrated. True, I am sick of wearing the same 3 or 4 things every week, but it will be over soon and I'll have a wonderful little girl and I'll be able to get new clothes.

*big sigh*

ok my rant is done.

Good Luck and Congrats. Buy as much second hand as you can. Ebay is great.

xo Jen

Girl #1 due Nov 7.