I Love my Dog!!!

iVillage Member
I Love my Dog!!!
Mon, 08-23-2004 - 12:44pm

maybe i'm a lazy mommy...but i have recently realized just how helpful my dog can be!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2004 - 11:03am

Lol, thats cute! All you need to do is put a swiffer pad on her feet and you wouldn't need to sweep ;) j/k.

We have 'Hurricane Cade'. It is amazing how messy such little people can be!

Lilypie Baby Days

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2004 - 11:44am
Speaking of dogs. We have two that are 7 years old. How did you introduce Cobi to Ilish? I am concerned of how the dogs will react to our baby. Did Cobi get jealious?

Christine

EDD 1/13/04

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2004 - 7:10pm
i'm afraid i'm not going to be much help to you...

Cobi is a very good natured dog & in fact is more frightened of Ilish than Ilish ever was of her...

BUT...we had another dog up until a few months ago - Libbi.

She was much larger than Cobi (about 100 lbs.!!) and much younger (about 2 1/2 years old)...we tried to get things ready before Ilish was born...we put up a baby gate that sectioned off the living room & slowly kept the dogs out of that room more & more. we put up the playpen, the swing, all the stuff that the baby would be using. i even read that you could place a babydoll in those things & then pick it up & rock it, etc. to get the dogs used to it...we did all of that too...the only thing we didn't do that i read about beforehand was playing a tape of a crying baby. (i think i may have read these things somewhere here on ivillage ?) but Libbi got very jealous-i think- and started behaving differently. she got very food aggressive & her whole attitude just changed...when we did bring the baby around her or bring her into the living room we had blocked off she would be fine & calm & gentle, but she slowly got worse & worse as far as the food aggression & displayed meanness to Cobi...

due to that & a neighborly dispute of property lines that included Libbi breaking her collar & hauling off into the backyard after the neighbor & his dog - we had to find Libbi a new home. it broke my heart but i wasn't willing to risk Ilish's safety once she started toddling around w/snacks & what not. & now that Ilish IS walking around everywhere i feel we made the right decision. i would be so nervous at this point if Libbi was still sulking around & Ilish was here, there & everywhere!

Cobi has always been a very good dog & is soooooo friendly...

we always joked that Libbi was our "guard dog" & Cobi would only lick an intruder to death! the only thing we have to do now where Cobi is concerned is make sure that Ilish isn't too rough w/her...she says "woof woof" every morning when she gets up & sees her puppy & giggles & squeals when she pets her - nicely - good thing Ilish picked up on that part quickly...but that could change...

good luck w/your little one & your furry children!
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2004 - 11:06am
that's really great info. we have the most wonderful dog i've ever had but i'm starting to wonder how he'll react to a baby in the house. he was very good around my neice and nephew but you can never tell. he already doesn't go upstairs so that won't be a problem to keep him away from certain areas of the house but i do wonder how he'll react to our attention not always being on him. thanks again for sharing your situation.

ps-jasper is a wonderful vacuum too ;)

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2004 - 11:46am
Oh that is so helpful. I am going to start everything you mentioned tonight. I hope your suggestions work but if we have to we will let them go. (I hate the thought.)

Greatful.

Christine