Anyone had Breast Reduction Surgery ?

iVillage Member
Anyone had Breast Reduction Surgery ?
Thu, 08-26-2004 - 3:04pm
I had reduction surgery a couple of years ago. I really dont even know what size I truly was, I was buying 34DDD and just "stuffing" them in there, because I refused to get anything bigger!! Even after the surgery (in which 5 lbs of boob was removed) I am still a full 34D, so I cant image what my true bra size was pre-surgery. Now that I'm pg, I'm worrying that they are going to grow back to unnatural proportions! I keep reading that some people can almost double their cup size - I'll die!! I dont know if somehow because of surgery, that maybe they wont grow?? (please!!) I'm currently almost 15 weeks, and they have swelled some, but I'm very nervous as to what I'm going to look like here in the next few months. Anybody have this surgery and then became pg?? Please tell me that I'm not going to look like Pamela Anderson (well, at least in the chest department anyway) :)

Missy

edd 2-20-04

Missy, Dave and Baby Zachary

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2004 - 3:26pm
Hi,

Well I am a nurse in the maternity field, and in my experience with most breast reduction surgeries, there is nipple involvement of some sort, and this comprimises the blood flow to the breasts, for adequate developement of milk supply, and ability to have your milk flow through the breast.

However with this said most women get some milk, but often it is not enough for the baby and women are forced to supplement with formula as well as breastfeeding. Don't be discoraged try out breastfeeding, you may get adequate milk who knows!

Just remember the signs of dehydration in infants as well, dry mucous in the mouth, irritable even after feeding, sunken fontanels, lethargy (increased sleepiness and hard to wake up for feedings), and decreased skin turgor.

I hope everything works out for you!!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2004 - 4:44pm
Thanks! But I'm actually more worried about if they are going to grow out of control. When I had the surgery, my dr told me that the amount of tissue he needed to remove, would make breast feeding impossible, so I had planned on bottle feeding. I just wondered if whatever he removed would somehow maybe halt the swelling of "pregnancy boobs" - or if I'm doomed to have 10lb breasts again!

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-26-2004 - 4:48pm
OH, sorry I see. Well that I am unsure. Most women I have talked to with breast reduction felt some growth, but not to much bigger. I am not sure if I can answer that question for you. For me I am planning to have a breast reduction after having babies!!!!
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 9:23am
Thanks! I hope they dont get too out of control. BTW - congrats on your pregnancy!! And good luck with your surgery after you have babies !!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 12:06pm
Hi,

I can sympathize with you. I had for years been thinking about a breast reduction but was always worried about being able to breast feed so I decided I would wait until after I have kids. But the horror for me being pregnant that my large D breast will swell to enormous proportions. I am a petite woman with already big breasts and afraid they are going to be even worse. I am in my 2nd trimester and they haven't gotten to big but I heard they get better once you start to breast feed. Good luck and hope all will work out!

jill

EDD 03/05/05

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-08-2004 - 2:19pm
I will be at 21 weeks tomorrow and this is my first baby also (unless you count our miscarriage last January). I had a breast reduction about 5 years ago. I had approx 8lbs removed. My Dr. told me that I would not be able to breastfeed even before the surgery as they were too large (34JJ) and the baby would not be able to latch so I went ahead and made myself more comfortable and am okay with not being able to BF my children (as that would not have been possible anyway)......

As to your question about size....I was 4 months along with my first miscarriage and my breasts had not grown too much (I am a 36DD now and I was still able to comfortably wear the same bras) and as I said I am one day shy of 21 weeks this time and I am still comfortably in my bras now. For me it seems like the surgery has made my breasts enlarge in a different way (than say just gaining weight used to do for me). Now they seem to get bigger around and not ummmmm I guess you would call the other way longer????. Anyway, I am still in the same size bra right now but feel like I will probably need to go only one size bigger before the baby is born. We shall see.....

Hope this helps. I think I must be in a daze or something. I can't seem to get my thoughts out in an organized manner.

Lyssa

Edd 1-20-05
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2004 - 12:19am
Hello, I had my breast reduction 3 years ago and I thought we were not going to have no more children but, a blessing was sent. I wait one year after haveing my son. I was 42 DDD and in alot of pain. Now I'm a 38c. My doctor told me at that time if I was to have another baby I would probraly not be able to breast feed and I would not most likely get big agian as I was befor. I was told I would get a little bit bigger but, not much to efect me. I'm more sore and my nipples hurt a bit but, I'm doing pretty good. Don't worry! You will be ok.
Tracy EDD:02-24-05 Sending Belly hugs to you! :)
Tracy EDD:02-24-05 Belly hugs & Rubs to all!
Tracy EDD:02-23-05 Belly hugs & Rubs to all! Baby #3 It's a Girl !!!