Recommended Reading

iVillage Member
Recommended Reading
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 7:56am
I would like to recommend to you new pregnant mommies 3 books that have helped me to not feel afraid of what's to come. A lot of the "bestsellers" for pregnancy tend to create more hysteria, IMO. Just note how you feel after reading What to expect.... or other books like that. Not that there isn't good info. there, but they do nothing for your confidence.

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin

She gives a lot a birth stories, which I enjoy reading.

Even if you're not into yoga, the next 2 books are very empowering and positive. They inspire me when I'm feeling less than capable of doing this.

Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful by Gurmukh

and

Prenatal Yoga & Natural Childbirth by Jeannine Parvati Baker

There are many more books like these, these are just the three I've read so far that have helped me.

Grace and Love,

Andria

EDD 12/11

Andria

mom to Samuel Luc born 12/8/2004

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 9:31am
My sister warned me NOT to read What to Expect When You're Expecting but rather to buy it and use it as a referrence book when I have specific questions. She told me that if I read What to expect - cover to cover - that I would not be able to sleep!!

Funny story (or not so funny) yesterday I was at the gym and the Montel Williams show was on the TV. It was this awful show that highlighted rare, childhood diseases and disformities that these children have managed to overcome. The stories were supposed to be uplifting but I couldn't take it. I had to leave. God knows all I want is a healthy baby....those stories were completely freaking me out.

My sister is sending me a book that was really helpful to her. Its a weekly guide showing you the developement of your baby.....its old and out of print but when I get it I'll post the title and maybe others can find used copies. She said it was the best for her during her first pregnancy.

Good Luck everyone and thanks for posting those titles.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 12:10pm

I did read the What to Expect book but didn't enjoy it as much as

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 12:29pm
I second the recommendation for Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. It's an excellent resource and should be required reading, in my opinion.

I also recommend Birthing From Within by Pam England and The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer.

Janna

www.billandjanna.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 1:13pm

Even though I have already given birth if we do decide to get pregnant again I will look into those books!

I just wanted to thank everyone for making suggestions!

Lilypie Baby Days

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 2:24pm
Thanks Janna, I'll ask my birth class teacher for them, she has a huge library.

Andria

Andria

mom to Samuel Luc born 12/8/2004