have a cold

iVillage Member
have a cold
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 10:37am
I am 2 1/2 months pregnant and I have a bad sinus cold. Is there any natural rememedies that will not harm my baby?

Amanda

Proud mommy of Will born March 6, 2005

Paul's

iVillage Member
In reply to: beanbug5
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 1:38pm
Maybe you could try a vaporizor, or a steamy bathroom. I know there are some sinus medicines you can take that are safe. You could post a message for Janna, she is very informed about natural health! She may be able to help you better than I can.

Lilypie Baby Days

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
In reply to: beanbug5
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 2:32pm
Avoid dairy products and anything with sugar. Stick to hot teas, lots of water. Have you heard of neti pots? Go to sinucleanse.com. You can order a neti pot and packets. It's a water pot for your nose, super effective against colds, sinusitis, allergies, etc. I find I get sinus infections when I'm going overboard on the dairy. I also use a nose oil, called nasya drops which coats the nasal passages to prevent germs etc. from getting up there. The nasya drops are contraindicated for pregnancy so just use plain sesame or sunflower oil. Put some on your pinky finger and put it up your nose and sniff. It feels really good especially in the winter when things are dry. Also if you live in a dry climate area, it would help a lot. I found the oil very effective this past winter, I got sick two weeks after I stopped using it, go figure and since I was pregnant I took antibiotics, which I never do normally, but since I was working and pregnant, I knew I wouldn't recover fast enough and I didn't want to risk secondary infection and high fever. With the neti pot, you only need to wash the nasal passages once a week, some do it more, but I found it too drying. Also I find that when I have a fever, I need to not eat, my body needs to use all of it's energy fighting the infection as opposed to digesting food. I don't recommend not eating since you're pregnant, but if you have a fever try to eat an easy to digest diet, such as rice and steamed vegetables.

Hope you feel better!

Andria

EDD 12/11

Andria

mom to Samuel Luc born 12/8/2004