Too soon for maternity wear?

iVillage Member
Too soon for maternity wear?
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 10:59am
Just wondering when you will begin/started to wear maternity clothes. I'm approaching 10 weeks, and seeing my fall clothes won't fit, I'm feeling compelled to buy maternity wear. I feel kind of silly, since I am so early still. Just looking for input.

Kim EDD 3/27/05

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 11:15am
Well I have a friend that started to wear mat clothes at 9 weeks, but bought some that are very ajustable for different sizes of her belly now she's close to 20 weeks and still wearing the same things. Don't feel silly, everybody shows differently, I am 10 weeks, and nothing is tight yet in my wardrobe, except I have already gone up a whole size in my breasts, go figure!!!!! I had to buy all new braws!!!

LOL< sneakers

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 1:16pm
I agree. I purchased maternity clothes and got some handy downs from my sister. I am only 9 weeks, but grew out of my pants so quickly and my boobs plunged out of my normal tops.

I didn't care what people thought, I wore the maternity clothes to work.

Hope that helps Janet Tulsa OK

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 1:30pm
You will end up buying different season clothes through out your pregnancy. I have found a lot of cheap maternity clothes at a consignment store. There is a nationwide chain called Kids to Kids. They have really cute clothes and they are really resonable. I wouldn't buy too many clothes in the begining but the shorts and pants with the band is great for the first 2 trimesters.

Jen

EDD 12-29-04

Baby girl!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 1:51pm

I tried to hide my pregnancy at work for a short time but I had a pair of maternity pants I started wearing and was able to cover the belly panel with a button down shirt. I think I was around 10 weeks.

When you are shopping for maternity wear you can get some regular stuff at first so you will have clothes to grow into after the baby is born and you are working on getting back into the clothes you are growing out of now. I didn't want to do that, then I felt awful when I had to go out and buy bigger clothes.

Also, here is something I didn't count on. I bought all my shirts to fit me with a small belly not realizing that as I got bigger the shirts started to seem shorter and shorter as my belly grew out, at the end it was hard to hide the belly panel but I didn't want to invest in anymore clothes I would only wear for another month. Buy your shirts longer than you think!

Stretch pants are great! I wasn't comfortable going out in stretch pants before but I thought all preggo ladies were so cute in them. You can wear almost any shirt(or sweater)

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 2:36pm
10 weeks is about when I started wearing maternity clothes. I decided I didn't want to buy a new set of clothes to wear in the beginning only to have to buy maternity anyway, so I opted for the maternity. It's whatever your preference is :)

Jennifer

edd 9-11 Nicolas Robert

http://www.jennifersdreams.com/baby

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 5:47pm

I started wearing maternity clothes at 11 weeks. What sucks about the whole dilemma about whether to just buy maternity clothes or bigger clothes for awhile is that even your maternity clothes will not fit you after awhile and you'll have to buy even BIGGER maternity clothes. Then you get to where I am...almost 38 weeks with ONE pair of shorts and 3 shirts that still fit you....and by fit, i mean you can yank the hem of the shirt down to cover your huge belly and you have to walk around like that or gross out the general public! :) BUT...maternity clothes bought now will probably last you till month 6 or so, whereas just bigger clothes wouldn't last that long.

Good luck!

Katie

Image hosted by Photobucket.com     

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 8:44pm
I started to show and grow out of my regular stuff at about 2.5 months -- maybe 10 weeks. Prior to getting pg, I was pretty slim and tall and wore a 6 or 8. So I bought mat clothes in Medium. Now I'm about to start week 28 and I am huge. Not just my belly but all of me! I gained a lot of weight. Those mediums don't come close to fitting me. I really had no way of knowing that I would get so big, but had I known, I would have bought all Larges or XLs. I think with mat clothes, it's best to go err on the side of bigger. Bigger is more comfortable, and if you really blow up, it is more attractive, as well. Skin-tight capris with a huge behind, big belly and enormous swollen ankles is not a pretty sight! LOL But if you feel silly wearing *obvious* mat clothes so early, look for styles that don't have the little empire waist and tie. Those are a dead giveaway. There's plenty of mat stuff that looks like regular clothes, just cut fuller in the belly area. You can also camoflage your belly (until you decide to go public) with a light cardigan or an unbuttoned blazer or an unstructured jacket.

I also agree that it's a good idea to buy a couple of pieces in a size or two larger for now and for after the baby is born, until you regain your figure.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2004 - 8:29am
I started to wear maternity clothes around the 16th week. My last two pairs of pants that fit felt so uncomfortable to zip up let alone button them up. I hate to go shopping so my boyfriend went out and came back with two beautiful shirts and a pair of pants that fit perfectly. He does a better job shopping than I do.

I suggest waiting a little bit longer to buy clothes because you don't really know what size you will be when you outgrow the ones that you already have.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-10-2004 - 8:10pm
I'm 19 1/2 wks with my first, and I have bought a few maternity items, either on Ebay or at gap.com in the sale section. Unfortunatey, I am not big enough for nay of them, but I'm too big for any of my normal clothes. I went from a size 6/8 to my size 10 "fat" clothes, then had to loop a rubber band through the button hole, because I couldn't close them. Now I actually have to unzip the pants, and wear a large shirt over it!!!! But the maternity clothes are still too big!

When I'm home, I've been wearing a pair of victoria's secret yoga pants, with one of my husband's t-shirts over it. Unfortunately, I work in an office, so I can't do this all the time! I think I'm going to just buy bigger clothes (at wal-mart or somewhere cheap) until I can fit in maternity clothes!

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-11-2004 - 10:57pm
I think I was wearing maternity since 12 weeks. I went to old navy clearance rack and got a few demi panel jeans for about 12.99 a pair and a few t shirts. I also wore my husbands shirts for a while also...but i felt really ugly.

Now im 28 weeks and wearing full panel and bought a bunch of cute empire tops (some from old navy and also gap maternity from ebay) and some on sale at motherhood.

I gained a lot of weight though and wonder how long I will be able to wear the xl tops I have.

I also suggest getting a maternity haircut and a nice maternity lipstick and a bottle of maternity prefume. Somedays I feel so blah but having a cute 'do and pretty makeup (along with proper clothing) makes me feel a lot better.

Pages