How soon to tell?

iVillage Member
How soon to tell?
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 12:09pm
Hi girls-

When should I/did you/do you plan to tell family/friends/co-workers your pregnant? Part of me wants to tell fam/friends now (5 weeks, 2 days) but part doesn't want to jump the gun quite yet. When is my pregnancy considered "safe" (12 weeks? 10? 8?) Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Cindy

EDD 4/27/05

iVillage Member
In reply to: holtie
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 1:34pm
Cindy,

I would wait until your first OB appt at 8 weeks. I did tell my parents and sister before that appt but I didn't tell anyone else. After that I told my friends but I waited a few weeks to tell my work. You are usually safe after 12 weeks but if you happen to be one of the lucky ones (like I was) and get morning sickness you will probably have to tell some of the ladies at work. My only advice is to tell people that you would be comfortable with telling if something happens. I had a friend that had a miscarrige and had already told everyone. It was very hard on her. I'm not trying to be upsetting just letting you know her story.

Good luck and enjoy it all. Time flies by so fast!

Jen

EDD 12-29-04 with a baby girl!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 2:35pm
Cindy, I couldn't keep it in, I think everyone is different so I would say do what feels right. I told my boss before 12 wks. I forget when exactly, but I did it because I had told a couple of co-workers and it was starting to get around the building. They had even started some rumor I was having twins, which I'm not as far as I know.

I know most people recommend waiting but that didn't work for me.

Andria

EDD 12/11

Andria

mom to Samuel Luc born 12/8/2004

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 2:38pm
It's really a personal preference. Some people like to wait until the 2nd trimester, others can't hold it in. I couldn't hold it in and told family and friends when I found out. I don't think there is a "safe" time, just a time when you feel comfortable :)

Jennifer

edd 9-11 Nicolas Robert

http://www.jennifersdreams.com/baby

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 2:53pm
Thanks for the input everyone! It gives me stuff to think about. I have a wedding to go to this weekend and will be doing my best to hide the fact that I'm not drinking but may tell my best friend who's my "date" (DH is away fishing for the weekend)because she's sure to know something's up!

Cindy