How do you feel about being a new mum?

iVillage Member
How do you feel about being a new mum?
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 10:27pm
Hi! I'm not actually a mother myself but hope to be one day soon... so I'm a bit of a lurker on the board. I'm actually asking this question with an alterior motive. I teach a class of 12 and 13 year old girls at church on Sundays and I have to teach them a lesson about motherhood. Since I have no experience in the area myself, I was hoping to borrow some of the thoughts of people who do! So if you have the time, please let me know some of the things you feel about being a mum/having a baby! Thankyou in advance and my apologies for crashing your board like this. Hannah
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 11:26pm

Motherhood is more different than you would ever expect!

I would love to get a few minutes by myself to take a bath or have my nails done but babies don't care how you look. Every woman worries about being a good mother while they are pregnant but what they don't think of is that, you are just as new at being a mom as they are at being a baby.

You no longer want things for yourself, everything is directed at the baby. I remember before I had my son, I was out at a restaurant with a couple friends and the waitress offered us lollipops. We all took one but one friend asked for two. She said they were for her 2 kids. It never dawned on me that I would give up something to be able to give it to my baby. I always give him the first bite of anything we share, I pass up a new CD or book to be able to buy him a toy or book, I gave up going out to a movie on a seconds notice to crawl around on the livingroom floor playing with wooden blocks. All of this I gladly do and probably will for the rest of my life!

Motherhood will keep you on your toes. It is exhausting and exhilerating at the same time. I wouldn't change it for the world! I love being a Mommy!

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2004 - 12:51am
Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. It really helped! Thankyou very much! Hannah