Telling People

iVillage Member
Telling People
Mon, 10-02-2006 - 12:35am

Hi all,

I'm six weeks pregnant with my first child and I was wondering how long people waited to tell their friends and family that they were pregnant. I want to tell people, but I'm worried about all that can happen in the next six to seven weeks. Should I wait for the first trimester to be over, until I've heard the baby's heartbeat, when?

Thanks!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to: amester79
Mon, 10-02-2006 - 12:19pm

It's a personal choice.

I didn't wait a second to tell people because I couldn't keep it in, I was in shock, etc. :o)

My sister was pregnant once and waited to tell people she was pregnant until after the first trimester... only thing is, she had a miscarriage after 8 wks... she said the hardest thing to do was to tell people that she -was- pregnant, then tell them she miscarried. She had another miscarriage after that, but all of her family and friends were able to better comfort her...Happy ending though: she's on her third pregnancy, and she's due this month! :o)

So... for me... everyone knew at 4 wks... that was 6 1/2 wks ago and I wouldn't take my decision back... BUT like I said... it IS a personal choice. :o)

Best wishes!... and Congrats!
~cb~

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-02-2006 - 5:32pm

I am four weeks now and I have only told 4 people (mom, father-in-law, one person at work, and my friend who is a birthing guru). I am afraid to tell anyone else, but I want to. I don't know if I will be able to keep this secret until mid-November. So hard to keep such a big secret! But I will regret having told everyone if something happens in the next 6 weeks. Ugh!

C2D

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-07-2006 - 2:10pm
Hello, I am at 14 weeks now and we've only told our parents, siblings and a few close friends. We are going to tell more friends at Thanksgiving when we fly home for that holiday. I don't have that urge to tell the world. For me, I'd rather wait until I start showing. Good luck. I think you should just do what's best for you. Everyone is different.
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-08-2006 - 1:00am
I told my three closest friends and my boyfriend when I found out (I was about six weeks when I found out). I told my parents a few days after, as well as my brothers. Because I had bad morning sickness, I had to tell them at work (Which worked out, because I ended up taking a leave of absence to get over the worst of it). Between me and my boyfriend, we slowly started telling out close friends and asking them not to say anything, but in true friend fashion, it got out (still don't know who the leak was) and it got back to me that everyone knew! The part that bugged me was that everyone was talking about it, but not one of the people that had just found out from someone else bothered to call me! Instead, they just told other people like it was hot gossip! Plus, I was upset because it was MY news, not some shocking gossip...I'm 24 and in a very committed, stable relationship, so as exciting as it is, it's not exactly juicy and I didn't even get to tell most people. So, if you don't want people to know...don't tell anyone who has even a remote possibility of letting it slip. When you're ready to tell people, I'd say tell everyone at once! If you want to keep it quiet, tell one or two close friends and your family.

EDD: March 24, 2007!!!!

Photobucket Thank you Laura (mama_lah) f
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-09-2006 - 7:10am

It's really up to when you feel comfortable telling people. I told my family a couple days after I found out (I was about 4 weeks).. only because the babys dad had taken the news badly and I was feeling horrible. It ended up taking a lot of weight off my shoulders after my family knew. A couple friends knew too, but I tried holding off on telling everyone else til I was about 12 weeks. My sister was 2 weeks further along than I was, but hadn't told anyone but her husband and wasnt planning to til she was 13 or 14 weeks, but she ended up miscarrying and told us what was going on then. Like I said, it's when you feel right about telling people.

Pam
EDD of my lil girl 12/10

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-12-2006 - 11:24am

I actually told a few close friends/family when I first found out (at 4wks). People whom I would tell if I had a miscarriage anyway.

I'll probably wait til at least the 6th or 8th week before I start sharing it with the rest of the family. Too many people will feel badly if we wait indefinitely.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-12-2006 - 3:10pm

I decided to tell close people now(like people I would tell even if something DID go wrong) and wait till after the first trimester is over to tell EVERYONE!!

I'm with you, I'm 12 weeks now and I haven't heard the heartbeat yet. I'm so anxious about it, and I'm holding back my excitement because I don't know yet if everything is really OK.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-12-2006 - 5:27pm

My hubby and I waited until the 8th week to tell family. We gave our families free reign to tell others at that point (we knew they wouldnt be able to keep it a secret). I didn't tell friends (besides my bff) or coworkers until I was near the end of my first trimester. I knew the risk of miscarriage was still there when we told our families BUT we had concieved very easily and read that there is a much lower risk of miscarrying if the conception was easy. Anyway, we are now 19 weeks and doing well!! I am glad I told people when I did. Hope it helps!

Susie
EDD 3.7.07

Photobucket