good pregnancy books

iVillage Member
good pregnancy books
Mon, 01-08-2007 - 1:49pm

i'm sure this topic has been brought up already, but can anyone recommend any good books to read during pregnancy? a friend has already loaned me "What To Expect When You're Expecting" but i don't think i like it that much.
I've been all over Amazon, and was thinking of buying:
"The Mother of All Pregnancy Books" by Ann Douglas
"The Mother of all Pregnancy Organizers"
"The Expectant Father" by Armin Brott (yes, i'm forcing my husband to read too ;)

is "The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy" too cynical and silly?

*Najah* 

Lilypie - (7Bun)

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-08-2007 - 3:33pm
I lived by What to Expect.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-10-2007 - 6:30pm

My favorite book for pregnancy and the early months after birth was "Great Expectations".

Siggie_April2008

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-11-2007 - 5:22pm

I do read What to Expect, but only because it was a gift. But I really like "Your pregnancy Week by Week" It tells you what to expect for each week not month. I have also been reading "First-Time Mom" by Dr. Kevin Leman. He is a christian man and has raised 5 children. He makes things sound so simple. I laugh, cry and at times I'm like Oh, DUHH Lacey!! Its kinda like the hand book for the first year of your child's life. (The title is first time moms, but it gives great points with all children). I also read alot on the internet and am interested in ANYTHING to do with pregnancy and young children.

HTH- Lacey
edd 2/13/07

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-12-2007 - 7:39pm
The book I have is "The Pregnancy Book" by William and Martha Sears. They've had 7 children and the book is very informative. I've also started reading "The Birth Book" by the same authors. One is an obstetrician and the other is an RN.
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-20-2007 - 3:19am

well for me i relied on ivillage but for my SO i bought "so your going to be a dad"
http://www.amazon.com/So-Youre-Going-Be-Dad/dp/1555612415

its very cute, i read the whole thing too, they explain things in a very fun way, i definatly recommend it, its great to get a guys perspective on this whole thing sometimes.

nicholle
FTM to Evan
http://evancheeseman.blogspot.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-29-2007 - 11:39am
I, too, read Great Expectations. I have What to Expect, too, but didn't like it either. Great Expectations has a week by week guide which my husband and I love to read together each and every week to see what's happening with our baby. It also has a lot of different sections like your body, labor and delivery, and baby gear. We have read different books, but this was the only one to inform us that I should not be flying in unpressurized air cabins with my husband. (he's a pilot and we like to fly our small plane to visit family) My midwife agreed. We never would have thought to bring that up if it wasn't for this book. Good Luck!