Any first time moms in the dallas area

iVillage Member
Any first time moms in the dallas area
Sat, 02-03-2007 - 9:38pm
Hi to all you frist time moms out there. My name is Chris, I am 23 (ill be 24 on March 3)I have been married to my husband Ricky for about 3 1/2 years. We are expecting our first child, this past Monday we found out that we are having a little boy who we are going to name Aiden Conner, my due date is June 27. I really would like to meet other first time expecting moms, none of my friends have kids or really know or have any understanding of all I am going through. It would be nice to meet others who are going through all these changes too. It would be nice to maybe meet some people from the Dallas area. But congrats to everyone out there, its exciting yet scary at the same time. But its all going to be worth it in the end..
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-20-2007 - 4:07pm

Hi Chris,

Congratulations! I'm also pregnant with our first and live in the Dallas area. Our little one is due around August 27th.

My friends are pretty much just the opposite of yours, they've all had babies, but I can say that I still feel alone. They all had your typical hospital birth, and I'm choosing the more natural method by seeing a midwife in a birthing center. I tend to just ignore anything they tell me, because I'm not of the mindset that I CAN'T have my baby naturally. I favor doing anything that's considered complementary or alternative medicine to get me through the changes I'm experiencing. So, that makes me different from them.

How's your pregnancy been so far? You're lucky that you don't have to go through the entire Texas summer being pregnant. I am not looking forward to that. But I AM looking forward to spending lots of time in the pool or at the lake.

Again, congrats!

Kristi

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-21-2007 - 12:57pm
Hi ladies! I am also a first time mom-to-be in the Dallas area. I am due in October. I can't believe how exciting/scary this is! Looks like you guys are a few steps ahead of me...hopefully I can get a heads up on things!
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-21-2007 - 2:51pm

So, you must be in the very early weeks of pregnancy. Any funny symptoms you are experiencing?

I first noticed I had to pee alot and my breasts were very tender. Then the fatigue set in. Then I started getting a few cravings (mashed potatoes and taco bell). Then came the "morning" sickness (mostly due to a sucky prenatal vitamin...but still a little sickness after I changed my prenatal vitamin) and heartburn. Then, like a switch, everything stopped for a week. Yesterday it all came back again, and I've had two very lousy days.

Wanna know a great book to read now that you're pregnant? "Belly Laughs" by Jenny McCarthy. It's hilarious!!! It's got some language though, which I wasn't too happy about, but for the most part, she's right on the money with the pregnancy stuff.

Have a great day!

Kristi

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-21-2007 - 10:18pm

I'm due October 21st...so I have a looong way to go! So far nothing major symptom wise. Slightly tender breasts, and it feels like I need to use the ladies room every 15 minutes or so! I'm hoping I will get off easy on the MS, but I have heard from some that it will probably be headed my way in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the book tip. I will definitely check it out.

When did you have your first doc visit? I called my doctor and they won't see me until 9 weeks. I guess this is normal from what I have heard, but I wish I could be seen sooner. First timer nerves!

If you don't mind me asking what made you decide to go natural? What are you doing to prepare yourself? I have thought of using a birthing center and a midwife, but I am so afraid of pain/something going wrong/insurance issues. It all just seems so scary to me!

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-23-2007 - 10:00am

Yeah, the morning sickness didn't start for me until week 6 or 7. And I didn't have it all day everyday. Last week was like I was normal again. But Monday it hit me again. Yesterday and today have been great as well. So I'm hoping that I'm about done with all that stuff.

I had my first visit week 12 (I'm 14 weeks now). I started interviewing midwives/birthing centers around week 8 or 9 to see who I wanted to go with. I didn't just want to pick someone not knowing if our personalities and philosophies would match or not, so I did some homework first.

What made me decide to go natural? First of all, I believe that birth is a natural, God-given process and not something that always needs medical intervention (and yes, there is a time for medical intervention). I'm a prenatal chiropractor, and I heard an OB/GYN speaking to a group of chiropractors saying how it's all her profession's fault that birth is the way it is today. She admitted that doctors are on their own time schedules, and will generally make it a medical process rather than a natural one. She also said that once one intervention is started (epidural, etc.), that just leads to another, then another, then another, until finally they go with a c-section. I couldn't believe it when I heard that.

Is there going to be pain? Of course! I don't doubt it. But I also believe that our mind is a powerful thing. If we think we'll have to have a c-section, we will. If we think we can't do it naturally, then we can't. I choose to tell myself that I got through 3 bouts of kidney stones (extremely painful if you've never had one), and I should have no problem with birth. I tell God every morning in my prayer time that I CAN do this, and I will.

Now, the birth centers have medications and all the appropriate things there just like a hospital, in the event that you decide to use it. But they tend to coach you through it alot more than nurses and doctors do, and you get to labor in whatever position you desire. Some people find that sitting on a toilet makes them more comfortable during labor. Some people want to walk around. Some people want to lay in a bath tub or take a shower to make them feel better. Midwives don't discourage any of this. Whatever is going to soothe you is what they let you do. Your body tells you exactly what to do, and they believe you should listen to it.

If you are in a hospital, there is a likely chance that they are going to lay you in a bed with nurses pushing your legs to your chest. From my chiropractic standpoint...this motion locks down your pelvis. Why would you do this if your pelvis is made to open and expand during pregnancy? Also, what's the reasoning when doctors tell you not to sleep on your back while you're pregnant? Because there's a major artery in your lower back that sends blood to your lower body and uterus. This goes for being in labor too. Why would you want the blood flow restricted to your uterus during labor by lying on your back? Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyways, sorry to get off on that soapbox. I just feel like alot of women are frightened into labor rather than educated.

What am I doing to prepare myself for this process? I'm eating a good diet, drinking lots of water, getting exercise, getting adjusted once or twice a week to keep my pelvis moving good (and prevent low back pain), educating myself on lots of different pregnancy things (tests, labor & delivery options, birth plans, etc), as well as baby things (vaccines, natural health options, etc), and mostly, I'm ignoring all my friends that tell me about their hospital experiences with labor and delivery. That's about it. I've got to find a Bradley Method birthing class as well so that I can start that later.

I'm not afraid of anything really going wrong. The midwives have all told me that if I'm at risk for something happening during birth, they will know it well ahead of time and then send me to an OB/GYN instead, because I would then be classified as high risk pregnancy. The hospitals are usually VERY close to the birth centers as well, so if something did happen during birth, transport is usually less than 5 minutes. All the midwives I've talked to said that the only reason they've had to transfer is because of failure to progress during labor. If you're failing to progress, then what's another 5 minutes?

There happens to be a midwife in Lewisville that actually delivers all her patients babies in the hospital. So that's another option if you wanted to go that route. She's still very highly medicalized though, but they do allow you to walk around, or lean over an exercise ball during labor if you want to do that. So it's starting to become more accepted in the hospital setting too.

Anyways, sorry for the long email. If you have any other questions, just let me know. I'm happy to answer them, as you can tell. I'll keep you updated on my progress as I go along.

Kristi