Starting to show?

iVillage Member
Starting to show?
Thu, 03-01-2007 - 11:38am

Hi, I've been on the September EC and decided to jump over here for a minute to check out other first-timers like me. I mean, the women on #2,3,4,5 are great, but sometimes I feel like I don't relate -- at all. Other times... well it's great for someone to explain to me what a Braxton Hicks contraction will feel like. Anyway, there was some discussion about beginning to show and a first timer was posing the question -- most people seemed to agree that typically first timers show around 4-5 months.

However, I'm 12 weeks and I have a very definite and very small belly. I have moved out of my regular clothes (usually a size six)and now I'm about to pull out some size 12 blazers today to wear to work. I look perfectly normal from the chest on up -- I'm just gaining in the mid-section, and yes starting to stick out in front a little bit. Those size 12s look humungous on top, but will hopefully hang on my midsection a little better than my size 8s and 10s. I'm into maternity wear after these size 12s, too. I don't have anything larger than a size 12. I'm also tall and narrow-hipped and I'm thinking that's got to play a part in my belly???

Any other first timers begin to show something, anything, before the magical 4 or 5 months?

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2007 - 3:41pm
oh yes, girl! i am on my first pregnancy and other moms and some doctors were telling me that they started showing around 4-5 months. it even says that in some books. so imagine how i felt when i started showing at 11-12 weeks. i felt intimidated and fat. people would ask "how far along are you?" and when i would tell them they would respond with "oh, you're so big" or "you look further along", i would feel so bad. i am not big just the belly was growing faster than normal. my doctor finally made me feel better when he told me that there are some women who grow really fast during the first 6 or 7 months but dont grow any more those last months, the baby by then is filling out the extra space you have. that made me feel better, and for the most part he was right, my belly was larger in the beginning making me look further along than i really was and now at 38 weeks i look like the average pregnant woman at 38 weeks. you might grow the same way.
as for the braxton-hicks, i wanted to know what those felt like too. but then around 6 months i felt them for the first time, they dont usually hurt but at this time they hurt so bad, i thought i was in labor. your stomach gets tight and hard for a short time, but these were accompanied by some sharps pains in my abdomen. but for the most part they dont hurt, you will notice your stomach get tight and hard and stay that way for about 30-90 seconds, but not all women experience them, so you may not have any. good luck on your pregnancy, and i hope you enjoy every minute of it.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-20-2007 - 3:08pm

Hey there -

Funny thing - I've been on the Sept. 07 EC chat too and just decided to try this one out for the first time.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I'm supposed to be a bridesmaid in 3 weddings this summer so when I found out I was pregnant, and my hubby didn't want to tell anyone yet (we still haven't told, I'm 13 1/2 weeks!) I had to call one dress shop and change the size of dress...but I had no clue what size to get!

I will be about 5 mos along for that wedding (May 19) and I upped my dress by 2 sizes, from a 4 to an 8. Then I started reading, and I asked my Dr. and everything said that I probably would be "just starting" to show then, so I thought, great, did I get too BIG of a dress?

BUT...I've already been showing now, for at least a week! I don't really know what to consider "showing" I guess - nobody else can tell, but I sure can! My pants are tight around my waist and when I put on some higher waisted pants that are usually REALLY big, I could barely get them buttoned, and they were not comfortable!

Anyway, long story made short, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only wierd one showing already. I am built like you - tall and narrow hips so maybe that has something to do with it??

cowgal

ps - and just to satisfy your curiousity, the other weddings are June 30 and August 22. The June on is a simple outdoor wedding that I just have to buy a "turqoise" dress for, but the other one...The bride found our dresses on Macys.com, and I was forced to order a Large and hope that it fits when I'm 8 mos pregnant! She's going to kill me if it doesn't!! (It's stretchy so I'm crossing my fingers...)

Mommy of  twin girls Kyan and Ki

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2007 - 2:32pm

I agree, it's my first and I'm 12 weeks and I can only fit in my normal size 6s if I can handle the uncomfortableness of the buttons digging into my gut, or I leave the top button undone. I just bought the Bella Band and am dying to try it out to see if I can wear my jeans without anyone knowing the button is undone. I also went to Target last weekend and bought some maternity jean capris and shorts with the panel on the front and I swear they are the most comfortable things ever. I don't care if I'm not far enough along to wear maternity clothes, I'm doing it! Although at first I thought it was just from eating too much junk and not running anymore or working out as much, but usually I gain weight in my hips and thighs not my gut......I had the makings of a 4-pack before January. But, my top part has not caught up yet.....my top always lags behind.

I noticed you run and I am a runner too. I did my first marathon last July and was just starting training for my next when I found out I was prego. Unfortunately, for me, running just hasn't worked out since. I'm tired after mile 1 or 2 and I huff and puff like a maniac. I've been told it may get easier in the 2nd trimester and am looking forward to getting my run back on, I miss it so!

Good luck to you!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-21-2007 - 6:02pm

Hey there - well I'm not really a runner unless you consider the fact that I'm always "running" late and I'm always "running" somewhere. I used to work out faithfully, every morning, for a couple of years, but then I slipped out of the routine but would still walk/ run or whatever when I had time, but jeez, since I've been pregnant it is literally a miracle for me to get out of bed, showered, and ready for the day. Let's not even talk about cleaning the house, doing dishes or laundry, etc. This is how terribly lazy I've been - I had laundry sitting on my loveseat for a MONTH before FINALLY getting it folded and put away. sheesh!

Anyway, although I'm not a runner (I've tried it before but never got into good enough shape to really consider myself a true runner) I do like to work out and have been dreaming of getting a nice treadmill or elliptical machine but my house is so little that it might end up being the living room centerpiece!

Anyway, thanks for the advice! I think I've got my hubby convinced to finally tell our parents at least, maybe this weekend, so then I'll probably start looking at some maternity clothes! Until then, luckily I've got lots of low rise pants and lots of pants that are too big, so I'm doing ok!

Cowgal

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-03-2007 - 4:12pm
I am almost 3 months and started showing at 2 months! I heard that the more narrow your hips are, the sooner you show. I'm also taller than most women and very narrow hips.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-03-2007 - 4:57pm

Hi!

You girls are def. not alone! I am 14 weeks and I am already showing. I was trying to explain to my fiancee how it felt to have your belly pop out a little - its a weird feeling!

Im tall and work out, and I didnt think my belly would show this early. I think that EVERYONE is looking at my little belly and already notices, but my boss who sees me everyday had no clue when i told him last week.

I am going to get some maternity clothes in the next few weeks (thank god my work pants are a little stretchy), Target and Old navy have the cutest stuff! Im scared of maternity pants though, hopefully ill find something cute!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-05-2007 - 12:21pm

Ok, I have to update:

I'm now 16 weeks along and REALLY showing! It seems like last week I could hide it and this week I can't. It's so weird! And I'm gaining weight like crazy and refuse to step on a scale now. The first 8 weeks or so I felt so rotten and for some reason I was LOSING weight - lost 3 lbs (not a lot, I know, but...).

Well, now I think I've gained about 10 lbs since my last appointment (3 weeks ago!) I'm scared to go back to the Dr. to confirm my weight gain! Maybe this sounds wierd, I know that I'm supposed to gain weight being preg but my Dr. told me not to be surprised if I hadn't gained anything by this appointment (in a week) and now I've gained 10 lbs already. I only want to gain about 25, so I can be healthy but hopefully lose it easily, and that means I can only gain 15 more lbs my entire pregnancy.

Any suggestions??? (besides to stop eating so much!~ haha)

cowgal

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-05-2007 - 1:37pm
Do you go to the gym? I feel as though just walking on the treadmill for 25 minutes at a very low speed, or taking a walk around the block makes me feel SO much better. And with all the crazy cravings ive been having, i think its the only reason I havent gained a ton of weight already.
My best friend just had twin girls August 06, and she gained a staggering 90 lbs. Shes a tiny girl and shes lost all the weight already. She told me to "embrace" my belly lol and not worry too much about how much weight i gain. Its up to your body, and the doctor WILL tell you to slow down if you need to.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-05-2007 - 2:34pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't go to the gym but I would love to be able to walk - I don't have a treadmill and it's been really cold here the last couple weeks (now that I FINALLY feel capable of getting off the couch for more than 5 minutes at a time - my m/s was terrible. Still not great but a huge improvment!)

Anyway, I think that as soon as the weather warms up a bit I will have to start walking and I agree - I will feel much better!

I think the reason I gained so much so fast is that I finally wasn't feeling totally sick all the time and I just pigged out, some strange celebration of being able to eat again!

cowgal