Breast Feeding vs Bottle Feeding

iVillage Member
Breast Feeding vs Bottle Feeding
Mon, 03-05-2007 - 8:38pm
Hello Everyone,
I am a 1st time mom w/ lots of questions. I am due in Sept 07. I am interesting in breast feeding vs bottle feeding. I am strongly thinking of breast feeding, can anyone give me the real pros and cons of it from experience. I will be going back to work after 12 wks so I would have to pump. Thanks for your advice/opion in advance.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-06-2007 - 7:40am

I may be of a biast opinion but breast is the best thing for your baby.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-12-2007 - 2:07pm
hello!! well, the main thing to remember is whatever you choose-its your choice-and dont let anyone tell you what to do. i tried to breastfeed my oldest(6)-it didnt work out...i never tried with my youngest (whos 3) and i wonder if it would have worked out for her. i could have tried, but i didnt want to feel like she rejected me, like i felt her sister did, so i chose to do the easier route and went formula. my sister is pregnant and due in may and shes going to breastfeed(probably) and her good friend just had a baby and shes breastfeeding and while it took a lot of work to get it going, hes 2 months old and theyre both pros by now-lol. they say breast is best and while i had 2 great experiences with formula, every baby is different so you might not. but whatever you decide, youll do whats best for your family...whichever choice that is. take care!!
joanne
maman2goons@aol.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-27-2007 - 3:15pm

Hi,

I just had my son 3 1/2 weeks ago and I've been exclusively breastfeeding him. He is my first baby.

I won't kid you breastfeeding is tough not only physically but for me emotionally and mentally. In my case I think it is tough because he started out with formula in the hospital (he had some complications so he was in intensive care for a couple of days where the nurses fed him formula). Getting him to exclusively breastfeed has been very challenging. Some days he wants to feed every 30 minutes, and this week he has started a new thing where he wants marathon feeding sessions of b/t 30-50 minutes! Those are the things that can really drive a mom nuts! Each week that goes by where I have not resorted to bottle feeding (still all breastmilk) is a major victory.

Everyone keeps telling me it will get bettr, and it has - he is doing much better at latching than just one week ago, but every week I ask myself if I can make it one more week.

I am not trying to dissuade you, I'm just telling you where I'm at in the process right now - to get a glimpse into the mind of a newly breastfeeding mom if you will. For now I will try to stick it out until the end of this week and then see what I do next week. I hope to start expressing breastmilk and start feeding him 1/2 with bottles, and 1/2 with breast - maybe I'll start doing that next week.

Good luck whatever you decide, it will be the right decision for you and your family.

My messy baby