limiting pre-natal visits

iVillage Member
limiting pre-natal visits
Thu, 04-26-2007 - 10:59am

Hi,
Quite a few health sites have said that pregnant women will have to schedule pre-natal appointments for at least every 4-6 weeks throughout the pregnancy up until week 36. Personally, this seems like too much for me, because that means that I'll have to take off from work regularly or leave early. My boss probably won't mind, but I will, because I'm really trying to be as incognito as possible about this pregnancy.
Plus, I love my lil' pod, but I don't think it's necessary to go to the doctor's that much. I can weigh myself at home, take my BP at the drugstore and keep records, and even let one of my diabetic family members test my blood sugar. Plus, I'm following good nutrition and exercise habits, and taking pre-natal vitamins so to me, there's no point in going to the doctor's every month.

Isn't there a way I can skirt around the frequent doctor visits?

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-26-2007 - 11:28am

No-- you need to evaluated for things list gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, baby's health, your health, weight gain, diet, etc. Try scheduling first thing in the morning or late afternoon doctor's appointments.

People who do not see a doctor regularly for prenatal care have higher incidences of complications during birth.

It's really not that many. And your care provider can work with you to schedule what they feel is necessary for your situation. I had my first at 9 weeks, my second with an ultrasound is coming up next week (11 weeks) then I'll go once a month until the last two months, where I'll go twice during month 8, and every week for the home stretch. It's not like you'll be hiding it when you hit 5 or 6 months anyway.

You're keeping your health in check and the baby's health in check-- and that's so important!!

You are on prenatal vitamins now, right? If not, get yourself to the drugstore and buy a bottle today.

gavin.gif mini pooper from tara picture by caulyne
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-26-2007 - 12:48pm

There are certain tests that are done throughout the pregnancy.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-26-2007 - 12:54pm

Some resources for you:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/1/T011200.asp

"Complications can arise at any time during pregnancy. For that reason, continued monitoring throughout pregnancy is necessary. Frequency and adequacy of ongoing prenatal visits are important factors in minimizing pregnancy problems." http://www.qualitymeasures.ahrq.gov/summary/summary.aspx?ss=1&doc_id=5850

If you're low risk, this study recommends 8-10 visits. http://xnet.kp.org/permanentejournal/fall97pj/prenatal.html But, it will all depend on your doctor/insurance/etc.

Testing and other things doctor's visits accomplish: https://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/hc/wom/preg/prenatal.jsp

Midwives may require fewer visits and may have more flexible schedules.

What to expect: http://www.womenshealthcaretopics.com/what_to_expect_at_prenatal_visit.htm

gavin.gif mini pooper from tara picture by caulyne
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-26-2007 - 3:40pm

Yup, I started the PNV on Wednesday, and I tested positive for pregnancy Monday morning.

(I know, I know: "What took you two days?!" Well, first I was in denial, and then I wasn't sure if I was going to go through with this. When I finally decided that I would, and when I found out that the baby had already started developing organs, I went and got a bottle of PNV pronto.)

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-29-2007 - 9:12pm
Like everyone has already said you need your regular check ups at the Dr. office so you know that the baby is okay. What time do you get off work at night? What time does your OB/GYN's office close? I didn't know that I was even prego until my 2nd month. I hadn't been on BC for a while but never had any concerns. When I was younger like 14 or so (I'm now almost 22) I didn't have a regular cycle so I just thought that I was reverting back to that. As soon as I found out that I was prego I made my Dr. appt. I couldn't get in until I was about 14 weeks or so. I started PNV the day after finding out. I had no problems luckly. I remember going once a month until I was 8 months along and then went every 2 weeks. And the last 3 weeks I went every week. I had a c-section at 38 weeks cause my girl was breech she was a healthy 6lbs 13.5oz and 19 inches long. She is now 9 months 20lbs and 28 inches long. I hope that you go to the Dr. regularly so you know that your little one is fine. Take care of yourself and that little one. Congrats also!
~Tai
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-30-2007 - 11:38am
Thanks Tai!
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-30-2007 - 3:25pm
Let us know how things go. Hope you have a happy and uneventful prego experiance. Any questions feel free to ask.
~Tai
PS is it alright if I add you to my friends list?