haven't had an ultrasound???

iVillage Member
haven't had an ultrasound???
Thu, 08-30-2007 - 12:18pm
I am 2 days from being 34 weeks pregnant.
I have a midwife, but do u think it's fair
4 her not to give me an ultrasound even though
I asked?? It's already saddening I don't know my
baby's sex. But don't u think she should at least
check on the baby and like tell me the weight or
sumthin? My baby could have 3 legs 4 all I know.
GOD forbid.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-30-2007 - 10:03pm

A lot of midwives are like that.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-01-2007 - 11:21pm

I am really shocked that you haven't had one yet! And actually, kind of angry at your midwife.

At 20 weeks I think it's pretty much understood across the board to give an ultrasound to check for any birth defects. They also double check your due date and make sure fluid levels are good- all kinds of stuff!

If I were you I would pretty much demand an ultrasound. Don't let the fact that she's the "doctor" and should know best put your babies health at risk! If she's not willing to give you one, I'd find another doctor or midwife even this late in the game!

Rachel

SIGGY
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-03-2007 - 10:31am
I totally agree with u spunky. I just asked my fiance' does he also agree and he said yes. But I don't really know where else to go. Maybe I'll try and call around to a few hospitals and see if they'll accept me and also if they take the insurance that I have. That way I can get a pediatrician as well 4 the baby. So that'll b a plus for both of us. And I greatly appeciate your input and advice and I'm just gonna have 2 take u up on that. So wish me well. Thanxxx Spunks!!
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-03-2007 - 4:05pm

Good for you!

I don't know what kind of insurance you have, but I know my insurance company has a website and I can search for doctors on the website before I have to call around. That's always a big help for me, and it saves a lot of time! Plus, if you explain the situation, I'm sure most doctors would take you on.

Has this midwife done everything else correctly? You got all your STD tests and normal blood work, Gestational Diabetes test, the test that gives you an indicator on whether or not the baby has downs, trisomy 18, or heart defects?? There are probably others I can't think of... but you got all the stuff right? You should be right around the corner from your group B strep test, they do that at 35 or 36 weeks.

Rachel

SIGGY
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-03-2007 - 10:24pm
Hey Spunkx! I'm a little irratated about this whole having a midwife thing. I switched hospitals because there were too many problems going on. I don't need any problems with them let alone a problem and being pregg. They weren't really telling me info like they sholud during my prenantal visits. I had a vaginal exam 4 3 months prior to my leaving because the results were always not determined and there could have been something wrong. Also I had my glucose test as well and I thought they could tel u the results the same day but I hadn't been told n e thing which is pretty frustrating.
But even with this new midwife I haven't had n e thing done new except at my last appt. she felt my lower abd. and said the baby was head down. No U/S though. Haven't had 1 since 14wks and I don't approve of that. Their could b sumthin wrong with my baby and I have no idea about it. I don't know the size of my baby or any thing 4 that matter but the positioning. And its crazy how I see all these different things being done on the baby programs I've been watching since b 4 I even thought of getting pregnant and haven't had nearly as much done as they've done on the shows. I know it s not that different b cause its tv, that'd b rediculous.Don't Ya Think! I believe that I should b retested with the vaginal exam, glucose, and I haven't even had a down syndrome, group b strep, or heart defect tests. And I don't even know what a trisomy 18 is. HELP!!!!