Acid Reflux in baby

iVillage Member
Acid Reflux in baby
Wed, 11-07-2007 - 3:32pm

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a baby who has acid reflux?

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-26-2007 - 11:52pm
My 5 month baby is currently on medication for acid reflux - baby Zantax. My doctor told me that he could stop taking the meds by month 6. I read in a book that some children take it until month 12. I understand that babies grow out of it when their muscles grow stronger.
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-04-2007 - 1:52pm

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-16-2007 - 3:39pm

Hello,

I have a baby that has acid reflux. He was diagnoised at 2 1/2 months old and he is now 12 months old. At that time he was placed on .8 ml of zantac 2x a day, and now he is at 1.2 ml or zantac 2x a day. It has gotten better as he gets older, but the all the movement still upsets his stomach some times. The doctor explained to me that the ephagela (sp?) flap is not strong enough, and until it is, that he will need the acid reducer to stay out of pain.

When my son was diaagnoised, he was trying to eat all the time, even after eating a bottle, that was because he was so little that he associated the pain in his throat from the acid to being hungry. He just felt pain, and he didn't understand.

It did take sb a little while longer to roll over and he hated being on his tummy for a while. It hasn't slowed him down though. The acid reflux is usually something that they grow out of. I have noticed that he doesn't seem to need the medicine as much, so hopefully he is outgrowing it. The doc said that we would let him outgrow the dose and go from there.

He has been lucky, but sometimes that is not the case, and they need much stronger medicine to control it. I hope I have helped you a little bit, if you have any questions, you can email me through my profile.

Heather

First time Mommy to a January 07 Snowbaby!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-17-2007 - 11:09am

Hi Elvenbeauty...