First baby far from home

iVillage Member
First baby far from home
Tue, 11-04-2008 - 1:39pm

Anyone else having their first baby far from home?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-06-2008 - 1:19pm
I am having a baby fairly far away from home also. My husband is also in the Navy and we are living in DC. Both of our families live in upper New England, so they are at least a 10 hrs drive from us. I know it's not THAT far away, but I have no family in the district or surrounding area so we are pretty much on our own! I am going to call our parents when I get to the hospital, so that they might be able to get there in time for the birth...but who knows with a 10 hr drive at least and traffic. So, I understand how you feel!! What kind of work are you looking for? I hope it all works out for you! I am sure you will start to meet a lot of people through the Navy. Most of our friends we get together with here are in the service. It is a great way to make friends, because right away you have something in common! good luck!

-Beth
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-07-2008 - 3:05pm

Really, we just moved from the DC area.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-07-2008 - 4:17pm
My husband has lived here for about 2 1/2 years, and I moved here after we got married a little over a year ago. I enjoy this area a lot...northern Virginia is lovely. We are trying to do more fun things in the city, and this weekend we are going with some friends to the loudon county wineries. (I am sad I can not partake). So, there seems to be a lot to do here, but it is hard not having family around. How far are you from your family? Do you like living in Hawaii? I have never been there but have always wanted to go.

I am not currently working...I left my job as a NICU nurse in June, right after my first trimester. I don't plan on going back full time, maybe per diem once the baby is a little older. My husband is also separating from the military in Feb., so we could be moving again ourselves. I don't think it is dishonest to get a job and not tell them you're pregnant. Or, you could tell them in your interview...I mean, you are giving them plenty of notice before you would need to go on maternity leave for them to find a way to handle your workload. You know what I mean? I guess telling them sooner rather than later would be better. But if you decide not to disclose that, I think that is okay. You can just tell them later. Do you want to work full time?
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-08-2008 - 2:24pm

Hawaii is definitly nice, it's pretty, green, mountainous, and warm.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2008 - 7:59am

hi megan-

i'm in the same situation as well.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 11-25-2008 - 8:57pm

Wow, 2 days!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 12-28-2008 - 1:38pm

Megan!

SO much in common! I am also having a baby far away from home, on an island, and DH is also in the Navy!