Freaked out about maternity clothes?!

iVillage Member
Freaked out about maternity clothes?!
Sun, 12-14-2008 - 7:37pm

I am starting to pop a little bit, at only 8+ weeks. I didn't really expect it so soon. I'm starting to wear my heavier-weight clothes (I lost almost 25 lbs. on Weight Watchers between May-Nov.), since I can't fit in my smallest pants anymore. I may be able to get away with some of my looser regular tops for a while yet, though.

But, I am not sure if most of my tops are long enough to cover my little pooch, especially in the next 1 1/2 weeks until I get some time off from work for the holidays. So I'm considering getting a few tops - either slimmer-line maternity ones, or loose and longer regular ones.

But I'm kind of freaked out about the idea of buying anything yet. We had to do IVF to get here, and I guess I'm still scared that it's too good to be true, that something will happen. My family wants to help me get maternity clothes, but they're also afraid to get me anything yet.

Is anyone else feeling the same way? Just curious...

--KJ

KJ (32) & DH (39) PCOS Dx 3/04, confirmed 6/08.

(9/08-11/08): Follistim, MANY follicles formed; RE suggests converting cycle to IVF.

Mom to Silas Walker, born July 2009, thanks to IVF. :)

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-15-2008 - 6:42am

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-22-2008 - 1:52pm

Hi - I am only 15 weeks and I had to buy maternity clothes 3 weeks ago. My "loose" clothes, especially pants, were just too tight at the waist. You will be a lot more comfortable if you get some looser clothing...whether it is maternity or larger sized regular clothes.

I went to Motherhood Maternity and they had a lot of stuff on Clearance. I snatched up a variety of short sleeved tops and purchased one sweater/jacket thing and wear that over the shirts to winterize them. I am not big enough to buy a ton of tops, but I did splurge on the maternity pants. Even if they are loose now, you will grow into them.

I understand your concern considering your IVF circumstance however you need to be comfortable!

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2008 - 10:50pm

I'm about 9 weeks along and have found that I can no longer wear my jeans

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-23-2009 - 7:58am

Hallo,

Am 12 weeks today, my first pregnancy but not yet showing. Still wearing my normal clothes but not the tight ones. Those that used to be loose are now tight and nobody can guess that am preggers.

Cant wait to start showing. My doctor told me I might not show until 15 - 20 weeks.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-10-2009 - 12:52pm
Hey! Well I can't remember exactly when but I wasn't able to fit into my regular clothes early on I want to say 10 weeks or so. I am now 19 weeks and just now starting to really fit into maternity clothes. Everyone is different of course but the thing I have fallen in love with, well I was in love with it before are gaucho pants. I have gone to Motherhood, Target and all over to find clothes that fit!! I try to hit up the clearance rack at Motherhood (I can't believe some of the prices!!) I am lucky though because I live in Florida so it's usually warm all year round so gaucho pants are great. My little secret though is I went online to Target (I was so disappointed with what they had in their stores for maternity) and online I found a whole array of clothes and at great prices. Their maternity gauchos (clearance) were on sale for like $5, they have the free shipping over $50.00 etc.. so I bought about six pairs worth of pants for $50 or so. What's nice is I thought a certain size would fit, they didn't so I just printed out a receipt online and returned them without any problems. I went back online and ordered the right sizes. Plus these are great because you can wear them after the pregnancy. Hope this helps!!

Jenna

dragonflyblink.gif picture by cnj1014

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-13-2009 - 3:41pm
Yep, some can where their regular clothes for quite a little while.

siggybaseball.jpg layton_mama08 picture by kiluoma

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-13-2009 - 4:10pm
I am as freaked out about maternity clothes. I still fit into my regular clothes and I havent even gone into a maternity store as yet. I plan too once I realize my clothes dont fit but so far so good!

Nat (22) Julian (26)

First time Parents. Our Little Monkey is due July 26, 2009.

">

Natasha
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-18-2009 - 8:31am

I'm a first timer and I know that, even though my waistline began to expand around the 3rd month, I didn't actually look pregnant until around week 25.

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-18-2009 - 11:04am
I am 33 Weeks and I just started wearing maternity clothes 2 weeks ago...thats only because It is extremely hard to find maternity clothes here and I had to keep looking at thrift stores...I've found that the maternity jeans are twice as comfy as sweat pants. As for shirts I have just been buying really long shirts that will cover my stomach.

~CORAL Future mother to William Alden Jr!

pregnancy

~Coral~ Wife to Matt and Mommy to Billy! Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-22-2009 - 8:31pm

I'm not excited about maternity clothes either, this is my first pregnancy.

Pages