Maternity Insurance

iVillage Member
Maternity Insurance
Tue, 08-04-2009 - 12:27am

Hello Everyone!

I just found out on Saturday that I'm pregnant. I'm about 5 weeks along. My fiancée and I are very excited. My biggest concern came about today when my ObGyn's office called me back after I made an appointment to tell me that my insurance doesn't cover pregnancy.
I called my carrier and they told me I couldn't add anything to an already existing policy and that I'd I'd have to buy a new policy. Doing some research online I found out that if you're already pregnant no one will insure you! This is the article I read, entitled, "How to Get Low Cost Maternity Health Insurance":

"Private insurance companies will not insure you if you're already pregnant, but some states offer Medicaid health insurance, or plans such as California's Medi-Cal, to low income families. To see if your your state has a low income maternity health insurance program, visit your state's department of insurance website.

If you're pregnant and don't qualify for state sponsored maternity health insurance, the best thing you can do is call the hospitals in your area and see if you can negotiate a cheaper than normal rate. Most hospitals will give you a discount if you pay cash."

Luckily, I do live in California, hopefully, because I am a full time student, I will qualify for Medi-Cal. The thought of trying to negotiate my hospital fees and paying cash for my delivery is all so depressing. I know it's a sensitive issue, but in England you don't have to haggle for a healthy baby. It's comforting that everyone is guaranteed health care and prenatal care in their system. No one has to stress about whether or not they're going to go broke having a baby, or even worse have a miscarriage from lack of care.

I'm pretty shook up. I really want to see a doctor. This is my first pregnancy and I really would like some assurance that everything is ok. Sorry for leaving such a long post.
I'm just scared, pregnant, and broke.

Sally
Sally
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-05-2009 - 10:37am

I bet that was a shock!

photo snowsiggy.png