Are you getting an Amino?

iVillage Member
Are you getting an Amino?
Mon, 10-26-2009 - 10:05am

so I can't decide if I should get an amnio....i am 17 weeks and did the scan and blood screening tests and it came back 1 in 650 for downs.. which is low, but i am freaked out.

(i am older (42) so I think i am paranoid, too).

I know that risk of miscarriage from amnio is very low - or at least better than it was before, but still - some people say it's 1 in 400...

thoughts?

Due date April 2, 2010
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-02-2009 - 9:54am
Likewise I haven't reached that point, however at this point in time I would say I'm not going to do one. I have a great friend who actually lost a leg due to an amino his mom had when she was pregnant. He can beat me in any sport and has obviously adjusted to having one leg and a prosthetic but I was shocked to learn that the amino had caused it.
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-26-2009 - 10:32am

I haven't had the blood tests yet so I haven't had to make the decision yet and I actually just started reading about amnios because I never knew what they were before. But personally for me if it came to it I would probably not get the amnio because I would not want to risk damaging the baby and then have the test be negative anyways.

I definately think this is a personal choice and comes down to whatever you feel inside is best. Hopefully everything turns out okay for you, your risk seems very low so I am sure those pregnancy hormones are just making you worry more!

Photobucket