When to tell people?

iVillage Member
When to tell people?
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 1:06pm

Hey Ladies!

I am new to the club. (Hi!!) We just found out that we are about 6.5 weeks pregnant and are having a hard time deciding when it is safe to tell people. This is our first time for everything, so its difficult to know what to expect. We have been married for 5 years, so both of our families are very eager.

My first Dr appointment isn't until Feb 23rd, so we were thinking we'd have to wait until after that just so we have confirmation and pictures. Is that what you all would suggest?

Thanks!

Estie
Estie
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-07-2010 - 10:08pm

Personally I would wait until at least after that 1st appointment. That way you know everything is going okay and if something isn't okay, you won't have to worry about going back and telling people what happened. Or having people ask about a pregnancy you don't want to talk about. I told my two best friends when I first found out and that was it. But everyone has different preferences. It's really completely up to you. But congratulations! I hope you have a healthy nine months!

Laura

~Laura~

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 7:06am

hi..congrats.. m also a first time and haven't really told anybody xcept the daddy and my two best friends... i don't know when i sholud tell my mom cuz she has been nagging me to have a child

oaratwa

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 12:37pm

My mom has given me a bit of an opposite approach than yours. She has been hinting strongly for a while now that she's NOT ready to be a grandma. It's not really up to her, and she knows that, and I'm still expecting a good response, but I think that's making me hesitate. I'm scared to tell close friends because they aren't real great at keeping secrets. ;) As much as I love them, once I tell one person, everyone will know!!

Good luck to you too!

*hugs!*

Estie
Estie
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 12:43pm

Thanks for the advice. I think we will wait until after the first appointment. I think you pinpointed my biggest worries. I just want to make sure both me and the baby are healthy and on the right track. I also want to make sure I'm only having one- my husband and I are both "in line" to have twins, and surprise natural multiples have already happened in my generation.

I think my biggest struggle with not telling people yet is that both my family and friends are big social drinkers? If I'm not going to tell anyone for a few weeks, what is the best way to NOT drink without drawing attention to myself?

Estie
Estie
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-09-2010 - 8:54am

hey...hope yourmum will come around.... m planning to tell mumaround april, m 27 so she thinks m getting old and she gonna die before she sees her grand kids..

oaratwa

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-10-2010 - 2:30pm

hi! i'm also hiding my pregnancy for now, i'm 6 weeks. i have a big party next week and to not make anyone suspicious i will say i'm on antibiotics and cant drink, or just drink ribena and pretend there's vodka

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-10-2010 - 3:18pm

It's tough to hide so early in the game. Especially if you are very social like you are. I have done the "vodka seven" with no vodka and pulled the bartender aside and told them to make it look real, and that worked really well. I have also already faked a really bad hangover and said I didn't want to drink for that reason and stuck with Sprite all night. (I think that raised the least number of questions).

Thanks for the suggestions! Good luck at your party next week!!

Estie
Estie
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 3:22pm

Hello,

I'm new here and I am about 9 weeks. My plans were to wait until the end of my first trimester to tell everyone. My family knows but I wanted to wait to tell everyone else. I ended up telling my boss because I have been sick just about every day. I've slowly started telling people but I haven't made an official announcement yet...still waiting. I'm just hoping for a healthy pregnancy.

I wish everyone a healthy pregnancy and a happy, healthy baby!

Pregnancy%20ticker